How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What type of specialist should I see for a swollen testicle

Customer Question

I have one testicle that is swollen but have no pain and want to know what type of specialist to go see.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
Is the testicle swollen and soft, or is it hard?

This could represent a fluid collection, like a "hydrocele", an enlargement of the veins around the testicle called a "variocele", or if firm, possibly testicular tumor.

A Urologist is the specialist that deals with this, but your first step should be to your regular doctor, who will be able to do a physical exam and order any testing if he/she feels necessary.
Dr. Mark and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is swollen and soft
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
Hydrocele usually requires no treatment.

Varicoceles can be treated if they cause problems, especially with infertility.

If the swelling persists, have your regular doctor check it out so you can get a diagnosis, which can include an ultrasound of the testicle (scrotum).
Dr. Mark and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you