How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan Strong RN MS Your Own Question
Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 190
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Susan Strong RN MS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my blood pressure is 172 over 135, should I just go to ...

This answer was rated:

If my blood pressure is 172 over 135, should I just go to the doctor or to the hospital?

Hello wy,

This level of blood pressure, is considered unsafe, and you should go to the emergency room. The top number is XXXXX as abnormally high as is the bottom number. After the emergency room helps to lower and stabilize the blood pressure, then you will need to see your doctor for follow-up; this is most important. The goal for blood pressure is now less than 120/80 for long term control. I do not wish to alarm you, but we become concerned that a diastolic or bottom number pressure over 110 is putting one at increased risk for stroke or heart attack.

Thank you for writing. Kind regards,

Susan Strong RN MS and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you