Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I think my jaw is dislocated, how can i tell? my ear also

i think my jaw is dislocated, how can i tell? my ear also has been hurting since like an ear infection...is that normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.

Greetings.

Do you have the following symptoms?

1) Clicking or popping sounds in the jaw joint on function

2) Jaw and facial pain

3) Pain while eating

4) Limited opening or locking of the jaw

5) Ringing or buzzing noises in the ears (tinnitus)

6) Changes in the bite (dental occlusion or disturbance of the alignment) ?

Do you have history of the big yawning or accident or trauma? What made you think that it is dislocated?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: i got slapped on the left side of my face about a month ago and it hurt rally bad! Even though it was the left side it was my right ear that hurt so bad!! it still hurts... it hurts to eat, sometimes more than other times, but ill be chewing and my jaw will like lock in a weird position and then sort of like snap back to a comfortable position, but when that happens it hurts so bad.

This is a definite temporomandibular joint (jaw) dislocation, displacement or injury. Displacement of the other side can occur due to force on other side. The ear pain is quiet important manifestation of jaw joint problem. You would need to consult either an ENT specialist or plastic surgeon (maxillo-facial surgeon) who would replace it back in the socket. Usually no surgical intervention is needed but sometimes sedation is required for a one month old case. Read here in this resource about the symptoms and management;

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001227.htm

Please feel free for your folllow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Arun Phophalia's Post: you mean they will snap it back in place? im too afraid to go because im scared it will hurt too bad.

It does not hurt at all. Yes, they will snap it back. Usually a very easy procedure to perform.

Dr. Arun