How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cheryl K. Your Own Question
Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5525
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal
Type Your Health Question Here...
Cheryl K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To cut a story short. I am a 39 year old female who had a

This answer was rated:

To cut a long story short. I am a 39 year old female who had a heart attack just over a year ago, had o be resucitated three times and was given a clot busting drug. Heart attack started in back and since discharge from hospital have had severe pain. Was on morphine sulphate, but doctor has now changed this to oxycodin. i cant function on it. Have asked to be referred back to cardiologist as pain a lot worse over last month, but doctor refuses. I have two small children and am suicidal. What do you suggest?
I would honestly recommend that you be seen by a Pain Management Specialist as with Oxycontin it is an extended relief medication that is slowly released through your system and what it sounds like is that you need a rapid release form of medication. Oxycontin is a medication similar to Morpheine but your body may have built up resistance to narcotics due to being on the Morpheine so I feel that going with a Pain Management Specialist would allow you to get the relief that you need and even if you cannot get referred back to your Cardio you should still contact them and let them know what is going on as you are already an established patient with them now and they should be willing to refer you to a Pain Management Specialist if your current physician will not.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am under a Pain Management specialist, referred by the cardiologist and have so far had two procedures. One, an injection into my back, which made the pain so much worse and ended up with me being admitted to hospital and the second i had about a month ago, a ganglion stellate into my neck, which didn't help either. I am not due to see the pain consultant until September and he said he is at a loss as to what to do next! I am desperate. I was taking Sevredol for breakthrough pain, but my doctor refuses to give me any more.
Then I do highly recommend that you get into contact with your cardiologist and let them know what is going on if the Pain Management Specialist is not willing to try you on a pain block which I feel you would be a good candidate for. If the pain continues to grow above a six on a scale of one to ten I would advise you to go to your local ER and explain what treatments you have had and see if they are not able to offer you some kind of pain relief that will work better for you. If your current specialist is at a loss as to what to do next contact them and ask them about a Morpheine pump or block which would be what I feel you need if they are not willing to put you back on the Morpheine Sulfate. To be honest I do not understand why they are not willing to keep you on that since that was working well for you and if between your cardio and your Pain MGMT Specialist they are not willing to make a change to offer you the relief you need and deserve you should consider consulting with a different Pain Management Specialist as they all have they different favorite ways of treatment. But no matter what do not let you pain level stay above a six for more than two hours before going to the ER especially since that can have so much of a factor on raising your blood pressure and with your cardiac history you are a high risk patient.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: You have listened to me like no-one ever has. My pain consultant put me on the Morphine and my regular doctor followed through with prescribing it. She left the practice and when i went to see another doctor at the same practice he took me off the slow release Morphine and the morphine for breakthrough pain, as he said i was taking too many, even though they were working. The doctor is refusing to refer me back to the cardiologist and the earliest appt. with the pain management specialist is in September. My pain is way above a six everyday and it mimics my heart attack. I roll around the floor while my children watch mum cry in agony. I am so frightened. Thankyou so much for your help. I don't know where to go next?

Thank you for the compliment as that is why I am here is to listen and to help. I honestly feel you need to go to the ER and when they ask you what medications you are on you tell them the Morpheine Sulfate and explain a new doctor took over the practice and will not keep your pain under control and once they see your high vitals they will start you off with a Dilaudid shot and then ask them for a referral to another pain management specialist and deeply explain how high your blood pressure has been running. Then I would also call you regular doctor as well and let them know what has been going on and also ask them to refer you to another pain management specialist as if your regular doctor followed through in prescribing it and finds out what is going on maybe he can prescribe you some until you can get into see a new specialist who will not be so hard hearted and work better with you. But no matter what you have got to get your level of pain down due to your cardiac needs as soon as possible and sometimes it takes going to the ER to get the ball rolling in the right direction again. And you are so very very welcome for my help, I am one who feels that no one should go through uncontrollable pain and my heart goes out to you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thankyou Cheryl for all your help. If only doctors were as understanding as you. The last time i went to the ER i was given an ECG, made to feel like i was wasting their time and given a low dose of Diazepam for my 'anxiety' and discharged. I have very little fight left and have written letters to my children, if the worse happens. Thankyou once again. Lisa

I can fully understand what you mean, alot of doctos tend to become hardened mainly because so many people are out there looking for drugs and it hurts those of us who really need them. I feel that your regular doctor seems very understanding and I feel you should contact him and explain how much pain you are in and see if he will not return to treating you with the Morpheine Sulfate until you can be seen in September and when you do go in for your visit in September be forceful as you can about how bad your pain is and do not leave there until you feel they have taken care of you like you deserve. You are so very welcome as well.


Cheryl K. and other Health Specialists are ready to help you