DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

A renal mass measuring 2.9 x 2.4 x 2.2cm was found on the

A renal mass measuring 2.9 x 2.4 x 2.2cm was found on the upper pole of my left kidney during an abdomen ultrasound. It appeared solid & was hypoechoic. I then had a CT scan of my abdomen performed and the kidney mass detected on ultrasound could not be found on the CT. However, an adrenal ademona was found in my right adrenal gland measuring 1.6 x 1.5cm. No one has been able to explain the dissappearing left kidney mass. Please help.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I do understand that my adrenal glands sit on top of my kidneys, but the ultrasound showed the mass on my LEFT kidney where the CT scan shows it on my RIGHT adrenal gland.
See ultrasound has it limitations and it is very easy to misdiagnose adrenal lesion as a kidney upper pole lesion.

Sonography results also depends on the person who is doing that.

Person who did sonography misdiagnosed your adrenal lesion as kidney lesion.

There was no kidney lesion, it was adrenal mass / adenoma which was given as kidney mass.

Thanks

Please ACCEPT the answer if you think my answer was helpful. POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS are always helpful.If you have any doubts or question please feel free to ask!!!!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response, but could you please explain to me how the ultrasound would show it on the left kidney and the ct scan would show it on my right kidney? There on opposite sides of my body...
I think there might me some mistake in report typing .

It is not normal to have such findings.

Thanks
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My PCP had the two tests compared and the recommendation was for a new renal ultrasound to be performed to see whether or not the kidney mass on the left could be a reproducible abnormality. All the doctors I have been dealing with have not been willing to say that it was a simple mistake confusing the left with the right. You seem to be saying that it is more likely that the ultrsound was just mislabled? Where do I go from here?
CT is very sensitive and it is impossible to miss a mass measuring 2.9 x 2.4 x 2.2 cm ( which was seen on sonography ). Please concentrate on the adrenal lesion. I dont feel you will get anything on sonography if CT is not showing right kidney lesion/mass.

If you doctor are recommending you to go for a rescan( sonography ) you can go ahead. It will confirm the status of right kidney.

Thanks

Please ACCEPT the answer if you think my answer was helpful. POSITIVE FEEDBACK / BONUS are always helpful.If you have any doubts or question