Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

I have a throbbing pain deep in my thigh. It is not enough

I have a throbbing pain deep in my thigh. It is not enough to stop me doing things but I can definatly notice it. It comes and goes and lasts for 20 second bursts. I have noticed it for about 2-3 days now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

This could be pain from the Quadriceps muscle. It is commonly painful in sports injuries and in people who do a lot of repititive work, like cycling, walking, jogging, running, etc. If you engage in such activitis, then you may be doing the activity in an inappropriate manner and you will need to go to a physiotherapist.

Another cause of such repititive pain is a Femoral nerve pressure, this could be due to a disc lesion at the T12-L1 junction. You need to consult your doctor for this, you will need tests like Xrays or MRI of the thoraco lumbar region to rule this out.

The third likely cause of such pain is a Myofascial Pain Syndrome. MPS occurs when there is relative thickening of some part of a muscle and is associated with pain trigger points which set off the pain. Your family physician may refer you to a neurologist or a physiotherapist for this. You can look up here:
http://hometown.aol.com/fibroworld/mps.htm

For complete tretment, you will need to get these three conditions checked for. The treatment will be according to cause.

Till then, The recommended treatment for this is RICE:
Rest: give rest for 2 days.
Ice: apply ice to the area liberally, it will reduce the inflammation.
Compression: Compress the area with a compression bandage, available in pharmacies.
Elevation: keep the ankle elevated above the level of the heart, at night when sleeping use a pillow under the feet.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: I haven't done any exercise, although I did bang my back 2-3 days ago. Could this be connected?
it may be connected.

Please do the RICE treatment, this should give relief.

However, if it persists, you should go to the doctor for checkup.