How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mrs. E Brush Your Own Question
Mrs. E Brush
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 675
Experience:  RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"
Type Your Health Question Here...
Mrs. E Brush is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bump on my vagina lip, it started as a hard knot

This answer was rated:

I have a bump on my vagina lip, it started as a hard knot under my skin and i messed with it thinking it was a boil since i get these often just not in this area so now it looks like a sore. I'm scared its herpes i've been with the same guy for 7 years - 2 yrs ago donated blood all tests came back negative. I went to the DR and got blood drawn today but will not know for 7 days is there anyway I can know sooner? I also am going thru brazilian laser hair removal could it be a bump from this? HELP i'm freaking out and going to give myself a panic attack before next Thursday


How long have you had the bump?

Is it on the inside or outside?

Are there any others, or is it just one bump?

Did the doctor take a swab of the lesion or just a blood test?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I've had it for 2 days, it is on the inside of my front outter lip, there's just one bump, the Dr just did a blood test she said no culture b/c there's no drainage.... can I get it cultured without drainage? a culture would show immediate results correct? its not red, itchy, or dry its just a skin colored sore but like i say Monday it was a hard knot under the skin yesterday i tried to mash it so now its an open sore but maybe if i just leave it alone it'll change appearance

What you are describing sounds more like a folliculitis or blocked duct than a herpes infection. The only way to definitively diagnose herpes is by taking a viral culture (swab the actual lesion)... blood tests can only tell you that you have in fact been exposed to herpes at some point in your life and they don't necessarily diagnose a specific lesion. Most doctors will draw conclusions based on visual diagnosis + a positive blood test, but the best way to know is specifically testing a lesion. The blood test, as I said, only tells you that you have been exposed to HSV because it detects antibodies. Antibodies to HSV are specific proteins that the body creates and releases into the bloodstream to fight the infection. HSV IgM antibody production begins several days after a primary (initial) HSV infection and may be detectable in the blood for several weeks. HSV IgG antibody production begins after HSV IgM production. Concentrations rise for several weeks, fall, and then stabilize in the blood. Once someone has been infected with HSV, they will continue to produce small quantities of HSV IgG.

Herpes presents differently in different people but usually presents as a pimple-like lesion or cluster of lesions that appear after a tingling/pain sensation of the area. What you are describing just sounds more like folliculitis that got a little infected from being picked at. I would advise you to not pick at it any more (which just introduces more bacteria) and just cleanse the area gently with hypoallergenic soap. It will heal on it's own. In the meantime, you can wait for the results from your doctor but I would not suspect that this is herpes based on what you are describing and with your risk factors (or lack thereof).

National Sexually Transmitted Disease Hotline:(###) ###-####/strong>
Information and referrals to free and low-cost public clinics. Operators can answer general questions on prevention, symptoms, transmission and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. Open 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
omg thank you so much I feel better already i know worrying doesnt help but the first thing my dr said was herpes so i flipped out but if it comes back as herpes i will deal with it...(lifes a bitch sometimes) but if not i will be soooo thankful... thanks a bunch for the information

one last question - can the Dr do a culture if there's no drainage can she simply swab over it and test that?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Also would applying neosporin or mupirocin help?

Hi, the doctor can swab the lesion BUT results wouldn't be definitive without getting drainage... a negative result therefore wouldn't necessarily be dependable. Neosporin will help if it is what I suspect (folliculitis with some irritation and bacteria from your fingernails).

I'm glad this was helpful to you--- it is good that you had this evaluated (that's the responsible thing to do) but I would not suspect that this is the most likely case and it suprises me that your doctor assumed that with how frequently folliculitis is mistaken for HSV infections and how stressful that can be to patients who then have the agonizing wait for test results.

You're in a monogomous long term relationship, have never had symptoms before, and shaving and waxing increase the risks of folliculitis as well. I just think it is most likely what it is, but again we will have to wait for your test results to really know.

Mrs. E Brush and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If this is folliculitis how many days should it take to go away... also this morning i noticed its more of a hard knot sore - it feels (by touch) worse than it looks but I did also notice soreness and a swollen gland on my right side which is the side the sore is on.... also my last question is I am getting laser hair removal completely down there could this be any cause? thanks a bunch you're wonderful

Folliculitis as far as the open sore from the infection should start to heal after a few days but for the bump to completely disappear, it could take a few weeks. The only time that healing is a concern is if it is not showing any improvement or is getting worse (starts being very tender, draining colored fluid, or if you develop a fever) which can indicate a more serious bacterial infection has occured as a complication.

The hard knot description to me sounds very much like folliculitis OR it could even be a blocked duct. These blocked ducts can result in something called a bartholin's gland cyst, which would also be consistant with these symptoms. This is a great information link for bartholin's cyst information that you might want to read over and compare symptoms with

Laser hair removal shouldnt cause these problems but rather, most patients find that it eliminates this because there is no hair stuck to cause the infection. Waxing or shaving, however, do increase the folliculitis risk by a lot.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
well i find out if its herpes today which it is a blood test so that would only show antibodies so if they say it is im going to a gynocologist to make sure. it is not spreading it has been 3-4 days and its still one little sore no painful urination or any other effects like that. I'll let you know what happens thanks again
Thanks, ***** ***** like to know how this turns out and I definately agree that this should be evaluated by a gynecologist if you get positive results from the blood test (because this would indicate that you had exposure to a herpes virus and whether it was type one or type two, but it doesn't mean that is what this lesion is necessarily from).
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OMG IT CAME BACK NEGATIVE IM SOOOO HAPPY --- thank you so much now i've got to find out what it is though would you suggest I go to a dermatologist or a gynecologist??

I really thought it was going to be negative, I'm sorry you were put through the stress of waiting for those results!! If it's folliculitis, it really will go away on it's own but if it's a barthalon's cyst, you might need antibiotics. You should see a gynecologist because they are familiar with both and can help out easily... I'm so glad to hear the good news, thanks for keeping me updated. Good luck!