Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

When i have social phobia. When i talk, my mouth gets tired…

Customer Question
Hi. When i have social...
Hi. When i have social phobia. When i talk, my mouth gets tired and i find it hard to finish talking. Why?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
4/5/2008
Health Professional: Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 9 years ago
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)

Hi thereCustomer

I had commented on one of your prior questions (along with the answering expert) about your condition and what is sounds like to me. Here it is again:

Being that behavioral health is one of my specialties, I noticed that it sounds possibly like you are trying to describe a couple of different problems. These often do come along in clusters. One is Body Dysmorphic Disorder , where there is a preoccupation with an imagined defect in apperance. The other disorder is much more well known, Agoraphobia -- an anxiety disorder where the individual is fearful or avoids going to places for fear of a panic attack or embarrassment.

There is treatment for both of these problems. One, they do respond to individual therapy and densitization techniques. They also respond well to certain SSRI type medications such as Paxil.

Often your family physician will prescribe a medication to treat this disorder, but if you are able to see a psychiatrist you would benefit from their expertise in dealing with these disorders and knowing all the latest treatment and medications available.

Of course you do need to check and make sure there is nothing physicallly wrong with you, but I wanted to give you this information, so that you don't spend needless years in fear, when there are medications and treatments that can help.

(that's was the end of the prior post) I saw that you said you did not want to see a physician or psychiatrist because of what your parents would think. If you are truly 18, you should be able to see them without your parent knowing? Or maybe you could speak to your parents about how difficult this situations is, that it is effecting your life and your ability to go forward into young adult-hood. It is common for there to be what is called "stigma" about anything to do with the brain. It is almost like a "prejudice" and being uniformed about what really is going on when a person has an illness involving the brain. Sometimes, especially in a parents case, they fear that this will reflect on them as being not as good parents as they could have been, or that they are defective in some way. When the real truth is that sometimes fears, or extreme sensitivity are expressed in this way, and therapy or a small dose of medication can help this. This dosn't mean you will even need to take medication forever, but until you learn to use some techniques to help you with this, you could at least be helped in the short term with a SSRI. Learning relaxation techniques along with visualization and positive affirmations can help, but you would get better quicker with the help of another person, like a therapist.

Today, you express another concern (mouth getting tired before you finish talking) That sounds like another condition that goes along with the other things we have been talking to you about. If you had a therapist to work with you, you could learn how to pace your talking when you are around others. I wonder if this too is related to you social phobia, and perhaps simply a need to learn some social skills. A therapist could also help you work on social skills. The reason a therapist would be so good for you is that most of your problems have to do with dealing with other people. You need to be able to function with others, and then perhaps graduate to group therapy sessions after you learn to feel comfortable with a therapist.

Does this sound like it fits for you?

If you need anything clarified, don't hesitate to write back.

Susan

Thanks. Is there any cure in the world for stuttering. Because, i do stutter and its kind of embarassing?

Yes, a speech therapist can help you with stuttering.

Susan

Did you need anything else? Do you know that we do not get credit for our work unless you click on the ACCEPT button? Thank you. I hope you are able to get some help soon. Sometimes realizing the problem takes awhile, but once you realize what the problem is, now you can do something about it!
Its just that you know the medication, there's too much side effects which are probably worse and i don't want to risk it.

I am not sure why you kept asking additional questions when you knew that you would not accept. We ask for minimal payment and we give you an indepth answer that takes up significant time. Just because you don't like the answer, does not mean it is not correct. I agree that you should try everything you can to prevent taking medication, but as some point if those things are not working, a small antidepressant might do you wonder at helping you with these phobias. I have worked in this field very long, and if you are able to get a good therapist that can work with you over a long period of time, basically coaching you to do the things you are afraid of, until you are afraid no longer, I think that it is possible for you to get over these thoughts. But, I hate to see a young person miss out on a lot in life, when they don't have to.

Good luck!

Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)