AndeeRN
AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient
8858861

Woke up about 6 hours ago and it was like that. I don't

Woke up about 6 hours ago and it was like that. I don't think I slept on it because my hand wasn't numb just the fingertip. Have massaged it but nothing works.
Category: Health
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 9 years ago.

Dear *****tney,

The medical term for the numbness is parasthesia (pear-as-THEES-ee-ah)

I can think of two things off the top of my head. First of all, are you diabetic? Second, would be carpal tunnel syndrome.

If it continues, you should speak with your physician about causes. Do you do a lot of hand or finger work, such as assemply, typing, etc?

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Andee

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no im not diabetic...my mom has corpal tunnel syndrom though, is it hereditary?
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 9 years ago.

Dear *****tney,

No, carpal tunnel is not hereditary. It is more from repetitive movements or use of the hands/fingers/wrists.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well I do online school with UOP and I am online a bit more than others...Well I check into that but is there anything I can do to make the feeling come back??
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 9 years ago.

Dear *****tney,

Yes, there are some things you can do to try and help.

First of all, drink plenty of water. It keeps the tissues well hydrated

Don't rest your wrists on the wrist pad or desk for long periods of time

Don't keep your arms handing down for prolonged periods. That tend to increase swelling and pressure.

Try not to grasp things very tighttly, and keep hold of them.

Good posture. Sounds like "what would that matter" but it does. Everything is the way the body should be, and avoids extra pressure on certain areas.

I hope these help, Britney. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Andee

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok let me add some funds so you can get paid....oh one more question. I have a BA in criminal justice...How can I get a job doing this. This seems to be a pretty cool gig. Can you let me know this info while I'm adding the funds?
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 9 years ago.

Well Britney,

What part are you looking for? Many people I know with the degrees will start off in security work if they are still going to school. Police training? Court bailiff? I am not well versed on this subject. I wish I could help you more.

Whatever you choose, best wishes and a long and happy career to you!

Andee

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Maybe I didn't ask the right question...I would like to know who to contact to get this online job. Thanks for the finger numbing tip I will definitely look in on it. I just would like to know how can i get a job with JUST Answer.com
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 9 years ago.

Dear *****tney,

You can go to the bottom of this page, and click on the help link. There you will find information on becoming an expert. If you do not find what you are looking for, email them on the contact us link. They answer promptly, usually within a few hours.

Best of luck!

Andee