Netty
Netty, Nurse
Experience:  Practicing LVN for 15 years,
8790583

is 5mg of oxycodone the same as 5mg of percocet? How ...

Customer Question

is 5mg of oxycodone the same as 5mg of percocet? How often and how much of the 5mg of oxycodone can I take? I injured my back.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Manju replied 9 years ago.

Hello

Percocet is the trade name.It contains two drugs- oxycodone and acetaminophen. It is indicated for the relief of moderate to moderately severe pain.

You can take tablet percocet 5 mg/325 mg containing oxycodone 5 mg and acetaminophen 325 mg.Its dosage is one tablet every 6 hours as needed for pain. The total daily dose of acetaminophen should not exceed 4 grams.

This dosage will reduce your pain upto great extend.

Hope this helped.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i wanted to know how much 5mg of just oxycodone can i take and how often, not percocet. I wanted to know if they were the same and had the same dosage.

Please stay online,I am replying you in a moment.

Ok

Normal dosage of oxycodone(immediate release) is 5 mg orally every 6 hours as needed.

For oxycodone(controlled release) dosage is 10 - 40 mg.but much higher doses possible in opiate tolerant patients.

Percocet contains oxycodone 5 mg and acetaminophen 325 mg.

Hope now this had helped you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
if 5mg of oxycodone every six hours isnt working can you safely take 2 at a time, every 4 to 6 hours?

Taking 10 mg of oxycodone at once can cause side effects as it is released immediately.

If this is not relieving your pain then you can take either controlled release of oxycodone.It can be taken as10 mg, 20 mg ,or 40 mg dosage.

Another option is of taking combination of oxycodone with other pain killer medications.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i already took two at 8:30 this morning. I am fine. the pain is coming back and i wanted to know what the side effects would be to take 2 more? Why can you take 2 percocets at a time but not 2 5m oxycodone? Isnt it the same thing without the tylenol?
Expert:  Netty replied 9 years ago.
Hello Heather
Taking oxycodone other then prescribed is VERY dangerous. You can become impaired and not relies that you are actually having symptoms of overdose. Do you have anyone with you?
Netty
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have been taking oxycodone for almost a year. I recently reinjured my back. I have taken 5,7.5,10 and 20 mgs and never had a problem. The dosage i just received just said take as needed, so I was trying to figure out what the dosage is for 5mg of oxycodone. I was taking it like percocet is prescribed, 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hours. im not drowsy or impaired. i have read what the signs of an overdose are, and Im not having any of them. I have a high tolerance for oxycodone since i have been taking it so long. I just need to know what the normal dosage is for 5mg of oxycodone.
Expert:  Netty replied 9 years ago.
My best suggestion for you is to contact your Dr for a different pain prescription, sounds like you may be intolerant to the oxy. As I said this medication it very dangours. There are several different drugs to use for pain that he can prescribe for you.
Netty
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what is the normal dosage for this medicine.
Expert:  Netty replied 9 years ago.
Dosage depends on each person, and the pain level. You really need to talk to your Dr.
Netty
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
nevermind. I called a pharmacy and asked a pharmacist about it. Just so you know he told me that percocet and plain oxycodone are the same thing, just without the tylenol. So the dosage is the same, 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hours. He said if possible don't take more than 8 a day. So I am perfectly fine taking 2 at a time. The label on my prescription said take as needed, I tried calling my doctor and still hadn't heard back. I just wanted to know what the "normal" dosage for an adult would be. Thank you for trying, but you did not answer my question. Have a good day.
Expert:  Netty replied 9 years ago.
Heather
Sorry we could not give you the infomation in a way for you to understand, but I am glad you got the what you needed. Take care of yourself
Netty