Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

How much Zoloft would one person have to take in order to

"The usual starting dose is 50 milligrams once a day, taken either in the morning or in the evening. The doctor may increase your dose depending upon your response. The maximum dose is 200 milligrams in a day." It is recommended to never exceed the prescribed dosage without consulting with your doctor. Exceeding the maximum daily dose can result in overdose of this medication.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/rx/rx-mono.aspx?contentFileName=Zol1503.html&contentName=Zoloft&contentId=662#TOP

Read full interaction below »

Question

How much Zoloft would one person have to take in order to overdose?

Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.

I need some more detail please.

How old is the person you are referring to?

What is their prescribed dosage?

Do you suspect an overdose?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

This is all hypothetical. I am asking this solely on a curious basis. But let's say she's 19 and weighs around 140 and the regular dosage 50 mg.

Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I understand completely that it is a severe risk to health to exceed the recommended dosage from your doctor. I was just wondering the amount of Zoloft needed to be taken to have a classic overdose.

Expert:  Terry replied 9 years ago.

I see what you are getting at and there is NOT a specific dosage. If you take more Zoloft than your doctor prescribes, you could overdose on this medication. Overdose symptoms would be present and immediate medical treatment would be necessary. This is a medication that is used to treat a number of conditions within the brain. Zoloft overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, such as how much Zoloft is taken and if it is taken with any other medicines. As you see there is not a 'classic overdose' amount but certainly if you exceed maximum dosage, there is a higher chance of OD.

However, if you think someone is struggling with depression and needs help to feel better or to get stabilized on the proper medication, please get them help at the emergency room or call the doctor.