How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 34680
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He checked my anus and said that i had a crack in the of anus..back

Customer Question

I had went to my doctor''s office because of my anus was soar. He checked my anus and said that i had a crack in the of anus. He gave me a prescription for some foam, but the syptom is back. what can I do about this problem?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


This seems to be anal fissure which is a painful linear tear or crack in the distal anal canal. The initiating factor can be trauma from the passage of a hard or painful bowel movement. Constipation too predisposes for it. Low-fiber diets, such as those lacking in raw fruits and vegetables, are associated with the development of anal fissures.

The mainstay of the treatment is to relieve the constipation and soften the motions/stools. Following would help;

1) stool-bulking agents, such as fiber supplementation

2) stool softeners

3) laxatives

4) sitz baths

5) Nitroglycerine ointment for local application at anal canal.

Long term prevention of the constipation and keeping the stools soft will prevent the recurrence.

Intractable anal fissure which don't respond to the medical treatment may warrant for surgical therapy like anal stretching or botulinum toxin injection.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


I am sorry, I forgot to add this link;

Please read the details of anal fissure on the above link.

Dr. Arun