Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

Are all insulins considered dose-dependent? When an insulin

Customer Question

Are all insulins considered dose-dependent? When an insulin is dosed BID, doesn''t it generally require more total insulin versus dosing an insulin QD?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
There are a number of types of insulins available. Each has different time of onset of action & duration of action. They can be broadly claasified as --rapid acting like aspart & lispro (onset of action 10 min, duration of action-3 to 4 hrs), short acting like regular insulin (onset =30min, duration=5-8hrs), intermediate acting like lente or NPH (onset=1-3 hrs, duaration=16-24hrs), long acting like ultralente (onset= 4-6hrs, duration=24-28hrs).

The body's requirement of insulin is different at different times. For example, more insulin action is required after meals to decrease the increased glucose levels after meal. The amount of insulin required also varies with what food we eat & how much.

So, providing insulin to body is not like providing any medication to body. The total insulin given during a 24 hour period is not important. What is important is that adequate insulin action be ensured at the right time. This will keep the blood sugar within normal range all the time. This is called round-the-clock-euglycemia & is very important in preventing long term complications of diabetes.

To achieve round-the-clock-euglycemia, doctors use different types of insulins given at different times of the day.

I hope I have made it clear to you. If you need more information or clarification, please ask for it.

For more information, please read about dosage & strategies in this article

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Niraj Kalore's Post: I should have asked if basal insulins(i.e. NPH, Lantus & Levemir)are all dose dependent. For instance, could Levemir be dose-dependent and Lantus not be dose-dependent?? Also, My QD vs BID question was not addressed. I excepted more than the answer I received-I can go to Wikipedia, myself. I was relying on a MD's knowledge, clinical experience & treatment of pts with these questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
In most situations the total dose of Insulin does not vary clinically significantly if the dose is given QID/ BD.
In fact in patients who have had DKA, we normally titrate the dose from continuous infusion to 6 hourly plain to BD over a period of time using similar doses.
Levemir and Lantus are pretty similar in terms of the dosage, and there is no difference in their dosing pattern.
Read more here
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/07/17/5316.html
regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 9 years ago.
I think I would opt out so that other experts could be of help to you.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 9 years ago.
Is the answer sufficient, or are you interested in any more clarifications,
Please let me know so that I can be of further help,
regards
Dr. Gupta