How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35768
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer with leg pain, tightness and tenderness. I have had

This answer was rated:

I suffer with leg pain, tightness and tenderness. I have had xrays and MRI''s of my back and knees, also an ultrasound of my legs. None of the doctors I have seen can help me. The pain has been getting worse. I am 61, male. Please help me. Matt Cresta

Dear Matt Cresta,


What are the specialists you have seen?

What kind of therapies or medical treatment have been advised?

What is your Back MRI and ultrasound of legs saying? Any blood work done?

Do you have any back pain?

Since when do you have these problems?

Are you on any medications?

Do you have diabetes or hypertension?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have seen leg and back specialist, My family doctor perscribed a pill to take at night it does not seem to help. I do not have it with me I am at work. I remember having the pain as a child but it was thought to be growing pains. No back pain I am in excellent health otherwise. My blood pressure is always 120/80. I am on meds for thyroid and water retention.
The back doctor said my back looked better than most 20 yearolds he has seen. Same for all other test. For 61 my bones and muscle look good.


I assume that your back MRI is normal and colored Doppler study of leg showed no deep vein thrombosis. With your symptoms the best specialist to consult would be MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation. These PMR specialist are called physiatrist and are specialist in musculoskeletal and neurological rehabilitation. Clinical immunologist or rheumatologist are the other specialists, who may help you.

The first intention is to diagnose the condition. Getting an EMG (electromyography) of the leg muscles, should be the initial step. Getting the following blood steps would also be advised;





Anti-SSA (Ro) or Anti-SSB (La)

Anti-ribosomal P



Lupus anticoagulant

Coombs test


RA factor

The mainstay of the treatment should be physical therapy of the lower limbs. Initial stretching exercises are the essential component. Deep therapy like Iontophoresis, phonophoresis, electrical stimulation may also help. Anti-inflammatory analgesics or analgesics like tramodol may also be advised by your physician.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you so much. Some of what you suggest I have thought about. I will follow your recommendations.

You are welcome.

Dr. Arun