How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Zia Your Own Question
Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1615
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Zia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can be the cause of me having a bowel movement 5

Resolved Question:

What can be the cause of me having a bowel movement 5 minutes after I eat? Sometimes I can''t even finish my meal.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.
For how long are you having this problem?
Do you have loose stools as well in association with this?

Please let me know.

Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I was diagnosed with acid reflux disease about a year ago and take Prevecid. I have had this recent problem off and on for about 6 months but thought that it was associated with the acid reflux.

Yes, I do have loose stools but not diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information

You are having what we call as a "gastrocolic reflex". What happens is that when you eat something it stretches the wall of the stomach which sends a stimulus to the colon and as a result the motility of the colon (large bowel) also increases causing one to have an urge to defecate (pass stool). This occurs normally as well but is not as exaggerated. The most common cause of an abnormal gastrocolic reflex is "irritable bowel syndrome" which is most likely what you are having at the moment. In this condition a person can have loose stools like what you are having. This is not related to the anti-acid treatment that you are taking. If this problem is really disturbing you I would advise that you consult a gastroenterologist for proper management of this condition. "Irritable bowel syndrome" is not something serious at all but sometimes needs specialist care and diangnosis.

Kindest Regards
Dr. Zia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you