How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Melissa Your Own Question
Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia
Type Your Health Question Here...
Melissa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is experiencing pain between his colon and ...

Resolved Question:

My husband is experiencing pain between his colon and penis. His pain in on a scale of 1 to 10 a 15. He is now having trouble making a bowel movement his pain in now a 20. If he pases gas he gets a little relief but only for a minute or two. He cannot sit for more than 10 minutes at a time. He is 45 years old, no other problems with his heath that we know as we don''t have medical ins. at this time is the something that I can get for him to help him. The pain he felt before the bowel problem was pressure and pulsing. He is not having any trouble urinating. Please if you can suggest any way that I can help him I will be very grateful.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

If his pain is a 20 out of 10, please take him to the ER immediately! Even if you do not have insurance, they must evaluate him and stabilize him, regardless of your ability to pay. If you are worried about a hospital bill, many hospitals will offer "indigent care" to those uninsured, or who can't afford it (ask to apply), or will offer sliding scale fees or payment plans. He may be suffering from a very severe condition, such as intestinal ischemia (lack of blood flow to an area of the intestines that causes necrosis of the tissue, and can be fatal), intestinal blockage, ulcerative collitis, diverticulitis, or fecal impaction. At this time, laxatives and/or enemas or anything else over the counter that might provide relief may be dangerous, since you don't know if there's an obstruction or impaction present, and may make the pain worse, since he won't be able to pass fecal matter on his own. In the case of severe constipation, having him drink plenty of liquids and taking NON STIMULANT stool softeners like colace (not peri colace) would be advised. Walking around may help stimulate the bowels as well. In the pain that he's in, however, this is best and most safely dealt with in the ER.

I hope this helps!

Melissa and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you