How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lance Your Own Question
Lance, Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 263
Experience:  I have 30+ years experience in the medical laboratory. I have been a specialist in Hematology for 22.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Lance is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What type of doctor treats blood clots in the leg?

This answer was rated:

what type of doctor treats blood clots in the leg?


In regards ***** ***** question about treatment of blood clots in the leg, it sort of depends on the underlying cause for the clots. If the only problem is the clot or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is the only problem, then any good Internal Medicine doctor should be able to handle the case. If you are looking for someone more specialized, then you might want to locate a Vascular Disease Specialist.

DVT can be a life threatening condition, and needs attention. It is usually initially treated by hospitalization for treatment using the anticoagulant heparin. Once the clot has dissolved, and the patient stabilized, the anticoagulant is usually switched to coumadin which is less risky, and can be administered long term at home with ocassional trips to an outpatient facility to have blood drawn for a PT/INR test to monitor treatment.

These are the most common forms of treatment for DVT, however there are several other anticoagulants available, and usage is based on the patient's condition and the doctor's preference. Hope this helps.


Lance and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you