Nurse Melissa
Nurse Melissa, Nurse
Experience:  LPN for 21 yrs, expertise in most areas, BLS certified, previous ACLS cert, prior BLS instructor
8971959

I have small lumps under the skin, on my forearms and upper

I have small lumps under the skin, on my forearms and upper legs. They don''t hurt, they are just ... annoying. I was told they might be fatty deposits. Are they hard to get rid of and will they stay gone once removed?
HelloCustomer my name is Melissa. By fatty deposits, do you mean cellulite? Cellulite is small fatty bumps, some people refer to it as looking like cottage cheese. If that is what you have, then yes it is completely harmless, but you might find it not pleasant to look at. Exercise, especially aerobics, with light weight lifting can in alot of cases help alot. There are creams and lotions, available on the market, but generally speaking I dont think they are very effective. Though there is some evidence that shows, that rubbing these lotions on the effected area, helps break up the fatty cells, so they can be removed by the body. Eating a low fat diet, drinking lots of water, along with the exercise and weight training, are the safest and most affordable options. However some women choose to have liposuction, which basically is the vacuuming out of the fatty cells. An incisions is made into the skin, and a instrument attached to suction, is put under the skin, and the fat cells are sucked out. While this is effective, it is fairly expensive, and the cellulite can return. I hope this answer has been helpful to you. If you are satisfied, with my answer, please click the green accept answer button. If you need to add more information, or ask a follow up question, please feel free to do so. Thank you for using Just Answers for your health questions.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
=) no this isn't cellulite, per se, but bumps. An example would be one on my right forearm, about 2 inches above my wrist. It hasn't changed in years (8+) but it's obvious. You can pinch it and it moves under the skin and has a "hard" feel to it, like it's a disk of some kind. It doens't hurt as I said before. I say it's not cellulite, but that's b/c I don't know what it is. It's not something that is spread over a wide area, but they are individual lumps under the skin. The one I mentioned is about the diameter of a nickle and about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. I have roughly 7-12 that I know of. I'm sure there are more, some much smaller, 1 or 2 that are much bigger.
Oh ok, I misunderstood what you meant. They sound like cysts. They are usually benign, and they grow under the surface of the skin. They are not painful and usually cause no harm, other than cosmetic. A doctor can remove them, rather simply, right in their office with local anesthesia. They can make a small incision, and drain the cyst, or a surgical procedure to remove the cyst. Sometimes laser removal can be done, with no anesthesia needed at all. However, they very often come back, after a while. If they start to change in any way, such as getting bigger, start to be painful or show sign of infection, then it is cause for concern. I hope this answer has helped you, please remember to click the green accept answer button. Of course you can add more information, or post another question, if needed. Thank you for using Just Answers for your health questions.