How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Evans Your Own Question
Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. D. Evans is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have irritating tremors where my bottom jaw shakes

Customer Question

I have irritating facial tremors where my bottom jaw shakes uncontrollably and little tingling all over my body. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Hyperkalemia maybe? Or some other electrolyte imbalance?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

This occurs due to twitching of muscles in the facial region.

The most likely cause for such twitching is an electrolyte imbalance. You should try out the following:

Plenty of Electrolyte fluids: Rehydration fluids are available OTC at all pharmacies.

Warm compresses when there are twitches.

Gentle massaging of the site..

Vit. B supplements: Take one capsule daily for one month, preferably a Multivitamin B complex capsule which you can ask for at the pharmacy and containing Methylcobalmine.

Vit. E supplements: Take one capsule daily for one month.

Do not worry about this, the above steps will usually take care of this problem. However, if the problem persists after one month, or it increases inseverity at any time, then you should consult your doctor for this.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Dr. D. Evans and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: Thankyou so much for your reply Dr. Evans. I will take your advice and pray that it works..
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
How long have you had this tremor? Do you have any other tremors or any other symptoms?

Is there a particular time that you notice this more than others?

Does this tremor change with anything you do? What happens if you drink alcohol?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: I have several other symptoms. For example, if I stand for periods longer than 5-10 minutes I get a sharp tightening pain in the left upper quadrant of my abdomen. In addition, when I stretch my body lengthwise the stomach muscles in my left upper quadrant get really tight like a ball and it hurts. I have to relax my muscles rather quickly, or else endure severe pain. I also have severe bloating, gas and constipation frequently (which of course causes a distended abdomen). If I walk fast or run I get sharp pains in my calves. I have had tremors for quite some time (a few years), however since I started nursing school (last August), it has become progressively worse. I am working on getting medical insurance so that I can go to a Dr. I'm sure that several diagnostic tests will need to be done. I had x-rays, CT scans and abdominal ultrasounds several years ago, when my symptoms were less severe, however no abnormalities were detected. I'm almost certain that I pulled a muscle in my abdomen during adolescence and it has manifested over the years. When I drink alcohol, I get bloated and my abdomen feels inflammed. I had a colonscopy in Oct 2004 due to my GI problems and a 2 cm benign polyp was removed. I believe that there is decreased tissue perfusion, possibly due to an injured abdominal muscle. What do you think? What tests would detect muscular injury and/or abnormalities?

Thanks for your response!

P.S. The warm compresses on my neck have REALLY helped with the facial tremors.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
At this point you really need to see a physician for a comprehensive evaluation for tremor. There are a number of medical problems associated with tremors and/or muscle spasms including as you mentioned electrolye imbalances, thyroid problems, and primary muscle diseases.

For the tremor - I suspect this might be essential tremor (also referred to as familial tremor) - This often presents more with hand tremors - but some patients do present with tremors of the head/face.

A neurologist is probably your best option at this point for testing.