How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DR MED MD Your Own Question
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 2407
Experience:  MD
Type Your Health Question Here...
DR MED MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 58 year old women with a problem with my neck and

Customer Question

i am 58 year old women with a problem with my neck and shoulder for the last 2 years. I have had mri of the neck and have degenatrive problems of the c-5. I was told by the nurlogist that i would need surgery. Was sent to nurosergon he said no to take lyrica. Did that with no help. i only wont to be able to raise my arms higher than my chest without the terrific pain and to be able to dress my self and to take care of my personal needs when going to the restroom. My arms especially the left one hurts so badley that i am forced to take pain medication to just get 3 or 4 hrs of sleep at night and in the morning when i get up I have to use the right arm to pull over the left arm to be able to get out of bed.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 9 years ago.
You are having severe cervical spondylosis.

Pain killers and muscle relaxants will give temporary relief.

Depending on involvement and compression of spinal cord and nerves by degenerated disc surgeon will decide whether to operate or not.

You need extensive Physiotherapy also but i will be painful.

These symptoms are severe and you should go for surgery.

If compression is severe it can even cause paralysis.

DR MED MD and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you very much. I just wish that the Dr's would not make me feel like I just wont surgery.
I just have to get something done I feel like I am going crazy with this pain constantly.
Is there someting that I can do to convince the nurosurgon that I need help.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 9 years ago.
You can explain your symptoms to him.

There are chances that your degenerative changes have progressed and compression by disc is increased since yours last MRI .

If you have done MRI few months back you need to repeat MRI.

If changes are more severe than you previous MRI, then it will easy to convince your doctor


Related Health Questions