Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I had an emergency laperoscopic appendectomy a week ago

Customer Question
today. When I asked...
I had an emergency laperoscopic appendectomy a week ago today. When I asked the Dr. before the surgery, when I would be able to return to work, I was told a couple of days. I''m a 47 year old female and in general am in good health. I didn''t get out of the hospital for over 48 hours after the operation and I have been home for 4 full days. Although, I feel a little better each day, I could not have gone to work this week, (I sit at a desk). I only take one pain pill per day, but I am weak, sore, very tired and just not feeling well, Is the normal? I get up, get showered do hair, make-up etc. (about 2 hours since I''m so slow), and I''m done in. I was off work two weeks with my lap. hysterectomy. I am very anxious to return to work, I have an exciting new job but, I feel like a real whimp being this ill a week later when the doctor said a couple of days. Is there an average recovery time?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
3/1/2008
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 9 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.

The average return back to work after the laparoscopic appendicectomy is 5-7 days. Probably, your surgeon when you asked must me mentioning of the duration of hospitalization when you asked of time of the recovery.

Hope this helps. Your follow up questions are welcome.

Dr. Arun

today being day 7, I should be recovered, I'm not, does that mean something is wrong?

This is an average period. Individuals can take some more times. The signs of problem are, fever, diarrhea, bloating, pain abdomen, nausea and vomiting. If you don't feel good by Sunday evening, you should consider appointment with your operating surgeon for an evaluation.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free, if you have further concerns and queries.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
One last question: Why am I on 2 antibiotics
Levaquin and Metronidazole?

Is it possible that the metronidazole makes me nauses? I thought it was the pain pill, but it seems to be consistant with the metronidazole, which I take 3 times a day.
Health Professional: Family Physician, Doctor (MD) replied 9 years ago
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
It is very common after an appendectomy to have the patient on antibiotics (they both cover different types of bacteria) to reduce the risk of infection. The inflamed appendix is full of bacteria, and these medications are given to prevent any bacteria that may have leaked from the appendix from causing a serious infection.

It is very easy to say you'll be fine in 2 days from the other side of the knife. When I was 20, and I had my wisdom teeth out, I thought I would be back to work later than day. WOW... 2 days later I still felt run down, and not up to my normal speed.

Anesthesia, illness (appendicitis) and surgery all combine to make people feel pretty lousy. I agree if you are not feeling better by Monday, a recheck with your surgeon is appropriate.

Please feel free to accept the other experts answer - I answered this part of the question since he was offline at the moment.
ThANK YOU!
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)