Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Licensed MD. Mayo Clinic Rochester trained physician in Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine.
8322836

My mom went for a Chest X-ray yesterday and was told she has

Customer Question

My mom went for a Chest X-ray yesterday and was told she has pneumonia and to call the dr before the end of the day. I called the office 3x and was told they still didn't receive the report. The X-ray office said the report was sent earlier...rather than later. What do I do when they won't help me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Daniel Nelson, MD replied 9 years ago.

If it's not too far out of the way, I would pay the doctor's office a visit and request a copy of the report so long as you have a signed release of information form. Your mother may need to make the phone call if she has not granted you a release of information. With HIPAA (patient privacy) laws so tight these days, they may choose not to give anyone but the patient the results. Have your mother call later today, otherwise get a release of information form from the clinic, have your mum sign it, then get a copy of the report from the clinic or from radiology.

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer.com's Health Information. I hope that all of your concerns have been addressed and that your experience here was positive and helpful. If you have a new or different question, please don't hesitate to come back or submit a new question. It has been a pleasure helping you. Your FEEDBACK is very important to me.

Kindest Regards,
***** *****, MD

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ***** *****, MD's Post: THE HIPAA RULE HAS ALREADY BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. MY MOM IS SICKLY AND DO GO WITH HER TO EVERY APPOINTMENT ETC AND SHE HAS SIGNED PAPERS FOR RELEASE. AFTER I GET THE REPORT WHAT DO I DO? DO I TAKE HER TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM? DO I WAIT FOR THE OFFICE TO ADDRESS THIS?

No need for all caps. You're frustrated, but ALL CAPS (the Internet equivalent of yelling) is not appropriate in addressing me. You didn't tell me in your initial information that you had release of information and HIPAA taken care of ... don't shoot at me because your clinic is jerking you around. The bot***** *****ne is, it's your information and I would make demanding calls over and over until/if they respond. If she has pneumonia and is not being treated, then by God get her to someone who will see her, evaulate her, and treat her if her own physician is not doing so.

Is she being treated with antibiotics or other medications for pneumonia? If not, I would not wait past mid-day to seek treatment elsewhere. Get the x-rays to take with you so they don't have to be repeated.

Go to the physician's office, release in hand, and demand to get this information in person. It's the doctor's responsibility to treat your mother. To not do so is at a minimum negligence, and at most malpractise. These are words that tend to catch physician's attention. Full stop.

I would go to the doctor's office and demand to see him/her and find out what the plan is going to be. If they are still dinking you around, go to the ER and get her treated. I would be livid with the physician and I would let the physician and the physician's staff know well that I am there and I want an answer NOW. Yes, I just yelled, but not at you. We're trying to work together, right? Demand an answer and find out the treatment plan, even if it takes a little sabre rattling.

Your Choices:

• Keep calling
  • Go to the office and try honey first, and sabre rattling second (remember the keywords: negligence and malpractise)
  • If no results or you're still not getting a plan of action from the physician, have her seen in the ER.

If the doctor doesn't respond by mid-day with calls and a visit by you, then I would head straight to the ER. If there is no response, I would also fire the physician, straight up and in his/her face, via an appointment. This kind of negligence/malpractise is not tolerable. Full Stop.

Regards,
***** *****, MD

Can you let me know how things went today? Is your mother being treated now? What did the physician's office say?

Kindest Regards,
***** *****, MD