How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17827
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a sore swollen left bottom eyelid, with a semi hard

This answer was rated:

I have a sore swollen left bottom eyelid, with a semi hard feeling lump in the corner of the eyelid. i have been to accident and emergency and eventually seen a student doctor, who was not an eye specialist. He wasnt convincing thaqt he knew about eyes, and he said i may have an infection or blocked tearduct and gave me Diclofenac to take. I have taken these pills before, after a Tonsilectomy and know people who take them for Arthritis. i have read up on them and it states they are for muscle/bone inflammation but do not mention eyes. Are the pills appropriate to my symptoms or should i go back for a seciond opinion? Thanks


Diclofenac Sodium is an anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) with some analgesic properties that can be used for all sorts of inflammation. You can take it for your swollen bottom eyelid.

Take care!

Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4741
Experience: A Registered Nurse for 19 years.
Lani, BSN, RN and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are they appropriate for the semi hard lump also?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Please answer reply before response is accepted for payment
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
A nurse has replied stating i can take the Diclofenac for the swelling, but are they appropriate to treat the semi hard lump also or do i need to see an eye doctor? the nurse did not answer any replies and i was reluctant to accept and pay for her respinse but there was no way of rejecting the response!
Before answering I would like to know a few more points about your problem
How long the condition is there?
Does it cause any difficulty with vision ?
Is the overlying skin red or inflammed?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.D. Saha's Post: thank you for your response Dr Saha.

The condition started yesterday afternoon (23-02-2008). I had taken a shower, and brushed my teeth and it was fine, but 10 minutes later when i looked in the mirror i noticed it looked red, when i touched it i felt a hard lump under the swelling and it was slighltly red on the skin of the bottom eyelid, the top eyelid is fine. Within 1 hour it was noticeable that it was swollen, and when i got home from accindent and emergency 4 hours later, it was twice as swollen again. I looked inside the eyelid and there is nothing there. It is not causing any problems with my vision
Thank you information.

As history suggests it seems to Hordeolum/stye of the lid.

It is due to the blockage of the duct of the sebaceous or meibomian glands which leads to swelling and inflammation. Bacterial contamination is frequent.

Diclofenac will reduce pain and inflammation as Lani has already informed you.

In addition you need warm compress which may open the ducts and relieve the obstruction.

Antibiotic eye ointments are frequently necessary and works well in the early stage.

If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to explain further.

If you find this information helpful, please press the ACCEPT button,
spend few sec for positive feedback. .
Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17827
Experience: 35 years of experience
Dr. Saha and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you