Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

I have swelling on the left side of my face and jaw with

I have swelling on the left side of my face and jaw with pain. I do not seem to have any teeth tenderness and can chew ok. My ears seemed to "pop" in recent air travel. Aleve lessened the pain but the swelling has not gone down for a couple of days now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Is there any associated redness?

Are you diabetic?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No redness.

I am not a diabetic and in generally good health.

It appears that you are having Cellulitis of the face. This is an infection of the tissues of the face. You need to consult a doctor immediately. You will need antibiotics for this. If you neglect this, it can spread and cause more problems. I would advise you to consult a doctor as soon as possible, if necessary you should go to the ER.

You can look up here:
http://www.medicinenet.com/cellulitis/article.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000855.htm

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Just to confirm ... the swelling and pain seems to be coming from muscles inside just under the jaw line and near my ear. Please advise
Although there could be many causes of muscle pain, these would not present with swelling. In case of swelling, cellulitis must be excluded. Hence you should consult your doctor. Cellulitis is due to swelling of the subcutaneous tissues, the tissues just uner the skin. So you could be having an infection of these tissues.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I may not be able to see my Physician for a couple of days. Would there be a great risk if I waited to go to the ER until tomorrow?
No, its not that risky and you can certainly wait till tomorrow.