Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have been precribed this med and I need to take a urine

Customer Question

I have been precribed this med and I need to take a urine drug test for work,
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 9 years ago.

phentermine (adipex d) is a drug that is similar to amphetamines (the most commonly abused amphetamine is methamphetamine commonly known as "ice")......therefore it can result in a positive drug test for this illegal substance....

i recommend that you take your prescription with you... you must mention before the test that you are on this medication for your weight loss and show them the prescription

hope that answers your question

regards

Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
As a Medical Review Officer - a physician trained and certified to interpret drug screens as required under the federal Drug Free Workplace Initiative - I belive that the previous answer may be misleading:

A properly performed drug test done by a certified laboratory with GC/MS (gas chromatograhy/mass spectroscopy) will NOT be false positive because of phentermine.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
if I purchased the adipex d online with out a presciption ,It could result in a postive drug test?
That would depend. IF the test was specifically looking for phentermine - then yes it could cause a positive drug screen.

If the drug test was looking for amphetamines - then it would NOT cause a positive drug screen.

Without knowing the exact testing that would be done, the methods used etc - there is no way to know if this would be a positive test.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Zia's Post: what if I purchase it online without a presciption
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: So I should tell the drug tester that I am taking a deit aid, is it illegal to order this online with a presciption.
Phentermine is a prescription only drug - It is illegal to purchase this medication without a prescription and under DEA and state medical board regulations this can NOT be done by an internet only "consultation" that some sites claim is your method of getting this medication.

You risk jail time for purchasing medications without a license - and depending on the particular testing that may be done - you could also lose your job (or whatever other consequences would result from a positive drug test)
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can any over the counter meds cause a postive drug test for amphetamines
The only over the counter drug that will cause a false positive for amphetamine is Vicks® inhaler. However with enatiomer analysis will allow the MRO to differential this from amphetamine use.