Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

My husband dropped a chain saw with a rusty chain and it

Customer Question

My husband dropped a chain saw with a rusty chain and it ripped into his skin. He''s been putting peroxide on it and alcohol. I remember having to get one when I was a child because I busted my head with something rusty but I also know things change?????
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.
Customer

A tetanus shot is usually good for about 10 yrs. If he is unsure when he had it last, then it would be best to have one done just to be on the safe side. I would avoid using alcohol on the wound- hydrogen peroxide is better to clean it out, and it should be bandaged if it already hasn't been. A tetanus shot needs to be given within 48 hours after injury so please have him get one. If you notice signs of infection, you will need to see your doctor for an exam.