How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Mike Your Own Question
Doctor Mike
Doctor Mike, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 28
Experience:  20 years experience treating pain and sports injuries
Type Your Health Question Here...
Doctor Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Aug. 2007 I started with a distal peripheral sensory ...

Customer Question

In Aug. 2007 I started with a distal peripheral sensory neuropathy.By Oct.2007 the numbess had spread to my mid thighs and around my mouth.In Jan.2008 severe headaches(frontal) started. On Jan. 19, 2008 I had a petit mal seizure. I now have waves of a sick feeling over my brain, periods of off-balance, difficulty using my left leg, weakness,confusion,visual problems, and loss of my short term memory. These symptoms come and go and seem to get worse when I get stressed or tired.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.


Have you had an eeg? Are you under the care of a neurologist? What medications do you take? Your age and sex?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: I had an MRI with contrast in Nov. 2007--the Dr. said was normal. I had a tilt table test in Nov. 2007 and it was normal. I have not had an EEG. The neurologist I saw told I did not need to come back. The neurologist put me on Lyrica(pregabalin)150mg bid. He ran tests for autoimmune peripheral sensory and motor neuropathy ,Epstein Barr(neg),cat scratch disease(Bartonellosis)B12(normal),and heavy metals(normal levels).
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am a 54 year old female veterinarian.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

I am going to opt out as this is over the limit of what I am comfortable dealing with. My specialty is primary care, and you need someone more specialized. I've alerted one of my colleagues who should be along shortly. It is possible he could be delayed, so don't give up.


Expert:  Doctor Mike replied 9 years ago.
Hi, Dr. April here. Dr. Schuyler asked if I could help out with this problem. This is obviously a complex problem. The best way to help you would be to get you to the right specialist. Who ever you see it needs to be someone comfortable with complex medical problems. They need to spend a lot of time and not be intimidated with your complaints. I would recommend an infectious disease specialist or physical medicine specialist as they usually spend time and see complex problems like this. You didn't mention Lyme Disease but I would be very surprised if that had not been checked. There are also infections associated with Lyme such as Brucellosis and Bartonella that can cause similar problems. Another possibility would be to see a doctor who is very familiar with Lyme to look for the above problems. You do need to be careful as some Lyme friendly doctors can over-diagnose the problem. Some other possibilites are multiple chemical sensitivities or more rare infectious disorders. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.