How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Your Own Question
Michael, Therapist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 456
Experience:  Master of Arts in Psychology
Type Your Health Question Here...
Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A spot in the middle of my chest is sore to touch and I am ...

This answer was rated:

A spot in the middle of my chest is sore to touch and I am having chest pain in the same area. Do you know what that could be?

Helllo Robin,

How long has this pain been going on? Does the area have any visible mark (like redness)?

Can you describe the pain (e.g., sharp/dull/throbbing/burning/etc.).


Dr. Michael

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Michael's Post: The pain is sharp. There is no mark in the area of soreness. It all started with the chest pain about two weeks ago. The sore spot started about six days ago.

I would suggest you make an appointment with your internist to have an examination. A sharp pain that has lasted two weeks can implicate a number of possible problems - some of them serious and some easily treated.

It is possible that you have (unknowingly) injured a muscle in the chest or between the ribs (called the intercostal muscles). Muscle injuries can be tender, be painful (including sharp pain), and are often difficult to heal on their own especially in certain areas of the body like the chest. This is because every time you breath the chest moves, and an injured muscle may never get a chance to rest enough to heal.

A sharp pain over a 2-week period can also indicate an aneurysm of a major blood vessel in the chest. While this is not very likely in a young woman, it does happen at every age and can require rapid surgical repair.

With such a wide range of possibilities I strongly suggest you call your doctor and explain that need to be seen today or tomorrow.

If you experience any of the following symptoms I would call 911 or go the emergency room right away: dizziness/light-headedness, pain that extends into the jaw, neck, or upper back or the pain feels different (such as a tearing pain or sharp pain that isn't going away), shortness of breath/wheezing/severe coughing, or drop in blood pressure/paling (whitening) of the skin color.

While an aneurysm is not likely, it needs to be ruled out as soon as possible, so try to get in to see your doctor today if possible.

Good luck.

Michael and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I just got back from the E.R. and they told me I have arthritis in my ribs. Just thought you would like to know. Thanks for you help this morning!

Thank you so much for the follow-up.

We almost never find out what happens after we give our advice. It is always nice to know that someone is ok.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know what happened.