How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 17 and has not had a normal period for over ...

Customer Question

My daughter is 17 and has not had a normal period for over 6 months. Prior to this she had a long overextended period for about 3 months last year. i took her to a pediatrician at Kaiser who prescribed birth control pills. this made her very ill and we discontinued. Then I took her for accupuncture and the practioner gave her Chinese herbs. Her period stopped. She went to a gynacologist who took a blood test, said everything looks normal, gave her progesterone pills that were supposed to get her menstruation on track, but no success. She is not sexually active so that is not part of the concern. What needs to be done. She is very worried about it and her reproductive future.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Manju replied 9 years ago.

The most common causes of this are:Significant weight gain or loss ,Over-exercise,Poor nutrition (or a diet too high in carbohydrates),Smoking,Excessive alcohol use,Eating disorders,Increased stress,Polycystic ovarian syndrome/estrogen dominance,Uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).

She need following a complete physical, including evaluations of thyroid function. Also, a complete blood count (CBC) test is quite important for the diagnosis of anemia. A pelvic exam is critical to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.An ultrasound will be required to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes.

The underlying cause is first to be detected & then the treatment should be done accordinglly.I advice you to consult the experienced gynecologist of some higher medical institute

Hope this helped.




Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Everything that was suggested has already been done.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
Good evening:

If you could provide some additional information it may help me answer your question.

How tall is your daughter? How much does she weigh?

Has she had any other medical problems?

Is she taking any medications now?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My daughter is 5'3" and weighs 130 lbs.
She does not have any other medical problems and she is not taking any medications.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
Without examining your daughter and getting a complete medical history it is not possible to make a diagnosis - HOWEVER, the first thing that comes to mind is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)

In this condition - one of the key metabolic disorders is a relative resistance to the effects of insulin. In response the body produces more insulin - which in turn causes the ovary to produce cysts and stimulates the production of androgens.

Here is some information on this condition. It can be treated by a good family physician, her Ob-Gyn or an endocrinologist.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What type of exam does she need to diagnose whether or not she has this condition?
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
It would start with a good general physical examination and some testing. This is an article written for family physicians on this condition including some information on the diagnostic evaluation
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Family Physician and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you