Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I have been diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. I am 64 years old and otherwise in good health. I would like to get a shingles vaccination. Is this advisable given my situation? Thank you for your reply.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 9 years ago.

<strongCustomer, What I would recommend is talking with your neurologist first about your actual medical condition to see if he approves that you use this vaccine .

Some studies suggest that virus has an important role in multiple sclerosis patients , the viral infections activate your immune system ( this system in normal conditions defends your body against infections ) ,but in patients with your condition when they have a viral infection , the immune cells not only attack the virus ,they also begin to attack the nerve fibers , producing neurological damage .

When you receive the vaccine , you will also develop an immune reaction , and your immune cells could attack the nerve fibers .

For this reason , you should be cautious and talk with your doctor first to see if he thinks the vaccine could be benefitial in your case .

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely ***** *****

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ALVARO's Post: Is the shingles vaccination a "live" vaccination?

Yes, Barbara , shingle vaccination is a live vaccination.

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .