A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 9 years ago.

It's not generally used to treat Trichomoniasis. Flagyl is the first choice in treating this STD.

If you are not 100% sure you have Trichomoniasis or if you don't have a full course of antibiotics and if they are not a new prescription I highly recommend seeing your doctor. As you can actually cause your body to build a resistance to the antibiotics and could have a hard time clearing the infection.

Click here to read more on Trichomoniasis

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I understand that another tratment is recommended but my question is if I was treated with Azithromycin for chlamydiaand within a few weeks with Clarithromycin for a sinus infection would that have likely taken care of trichomoniasis if present.
Expert:  Lindie replied 9 years ago.

It can be used, but it's also possible it may not be effective in treating it either. If you are unsure, it's always best to check with your doctor to make sure the infection is gone. If it's left untreated it could lead to further complications. So although it's not the first choice, it can be used.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
In the "read more" section regarding Trich, on this site, it is indicated that Azithromycin is also acceptable with less side effects but more expensive.

I have just learned as much from the pop up box then from your answer, unless you would like to further clarify or refine your answers.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

Lindie is offline, so I will attempt to add some more information for you. Please accept one of Lindie's answers.

The official treatment guidelines do not recommend azithromycin or clarithromycin, not even as alternative treatments. The link above is a commercial link, not a link to the Center for Disease Control or the National Institutes of Health. There is considerable antibiotic resistance to many of the STDs and you would need to be tested to see if you still carry trichomoniasis. Odds are very good that you do, since macrolide antibiotics are not used for treatment. If you are "cured" then consider it serendipity. It isn't evidence-based medicine. Below are links to official sites that discuss the treatment guidelines. I urge you to be tested and get the proper treatment.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/trichomonas/STDFact-Trichomoniasis.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2006/vaginal-discharge.htm#vagdis3

http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/healthscience/healthtopics/trichomoniasis/

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist