A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What is coccobacilli?

Coccobacilli are rod shaped bacteria, but they are short and fat, so that they look like a cross between rods (bacilli) and spheres (cocci). There are many types of coccobacilli including Haemophilus influenzae, Chlamydia trachomatis, Acinetobacter species, Pasteurella multocida, and a number of others. They are usually opportunistic pathogens, causing no problem until the other flora of the region are disturbed. All of them respond to antibiotic treatment.

Read full interaction below »

Question

What is a coccobacilli bacterial infection? Where does it come from? How is it treated?

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Okay, I really don’t understand this I am positive on my pap smear for coccobacilli. I this passed to me from my partner and is it a STD?

The term coccobacilli is non-specific. It's like the term "furniture." Furniture can be chairs, tables, sofas, and beds. Coccobacilli can be Chlamydia trachomatiswhich is an STD and is only sexually transmitted.

It can also be H. influenzae or one of the others, which are not STDs. The others can be found when there is bacterial vaginosis, which is a vaginal infection that occurs when the normal vaginal flora (bacteria and yeasts) are disturbed. The coccobacilli then grow out of bounds. Things that can disturb vaginal bacteria are douching, bubble baths, taking antibiotics, stress, and sometimes no reason is found. If the coccobacilli found was Chlamydia, it should have said so.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

So the only thing listed was coccobacilli, none of the other organisms were marked is this just a yeast infection? My doctor only gave me vaginal creams to clear it up. Clotrimazole, Fluconazole, and clioquinol. I wouldn’t want to blame my partner if he didn’t pass me an STD.

The medications you were given will cover fungal infections (yeast), so your doctor must have thought that any bacterial infection would clear on its own. Frequently BV does clear on its own if it isn't caused by Chlamydia.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thanks you have been very helpful.