Andy R
Andy R, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy with 30 years of hospital experience, nursing school faculty
5537663

I had my testicals and scrotum removed

Customer Question

I had a cancer scare in 1986 and a implant was installed and in 2002 I had a problem and the scrotum degenerated and I lost the final testical and the entire scrotum. I now have only a tight scar where my scrotum once set. Can it be reconstructed and implants be put in to give me a normal look again....I am so depressed and it has caused a horrible self image due to the loss. Help!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Andy R replied 9 years ago.
Customer

I suggest you consult with a urologist. I hear your self-esteem question and can understand your feelings. If the area of the surgery is clean and healthy, there should be no reason not to have this done again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Andy R's Post: my hope wat to locate doctors that could perform the surgery. I know it can be done but I would not want to see a cost exceed 10 to 12K for such a surgery
Expert:  Andy R replied 9 years ago.
That is a choice you will need to make. It is doubtful that insurance will cover this type of "cosmetic surgery"
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I know it can be done and with out silicone implants. I just want to find a doctor that will do this surgery
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
Here is a doctor who may be able to help you - Please be aware that I do NOT personally know this physician, and therefore can not give a personal "reference" for him.
http://www.altermd.com/Penis%20and%20Scrotal%20Surgery/penis_scrotum_reconstruction.htm

Since this surgery would be considered RECONSTRUCTIVE, rather than "cosmetic", your insurance may indeed cover such costs. Be assured, this would not be an automatic, and you and your doctor would likely have to appeal the decision of the insurance company several times before getting a YES.
Expert:  Andy R replied 9 years ago.

I suggest calling your local and state medical associations and asking for referrals. You can also check with the largest University affiliated hospital in your area and talk to someone in the department of urology to find a doctor who can do this. Another option would be a plastic surgeon. You can go through the same steps in finding a reconstructive plastic surgeon.

Andy R, Pharm.D.
Experience: Doctor of Pharmacy with 30 years of hospital experience, nursing school faculty