Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What does it mean that my liver levels are high? Blood test

Customer Question
What does it mean that...
What does it mean that my liver levels are high? Blood test taken today showed these results.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
1/10/2008
Health Professional: Hawaii-MD, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Hawaii-MD
Hawaii-MD, Doctor
HiCustomer

I'm happy to help. Can you answer a few questions for me?

Do you remember how high they were?
Why was the test performed?
What are your medical problems?
What medications are you on?
Are you sick?
Health Professional: Lindie, Healthcare Expert replied 9 years ago
Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert

There are several reason as to why you can get a high level reading. Certain medications can cause this: Such as Aspirin, acetaminophen, Tylenol etc.......Alcohol use, prescription medication, over weight, vitamin and certain herbal supplements. Cholesterol can even cause these tests to be high as well. More serious causes can include viral hepatitis and mononucleosis, Autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, Tumors of the liver or bile ducts.

Your doctor may repeat the test or depending upon the actual results may send you for an ultra sound.

Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Routine, every six months, blood tests taken this morning. Nurse called to tell me that my liver levels were high and that the doctor wanted to take another blood sample for the same test on Friday.

Because of my smoking, I have circulation problems in my feet. Little toe on right foot was amputated in May. Little toe on left foot is to be amputated on January 29th. I have smoked since I was 10. Was up to 2 1/2 packs a day. Admitted to hospital over New Year's weekend and diagnosed with pneumonia in lower right lobe.

On Lyrica, 100 MG tid for pain in feet. Am not Diabetic. On Avelox, 400mg/day for Pneumonia, Digoxin,12tmg for Atril Fib. Cadizem, 180 mg bid for Atril Fib., Nortriptyline, 50mg at bedtime for Restless leg syndrome, 81 mg of asprin, blood thinner, was on Predisone. 10 mg 3,2 1 for pneumonia. Lopressor, 25mg for hypertension, Percocet 325mg 1-2 tabs/4hrs as needed, for pain, Bendryl,50 mg for Allergies, Bactroban 2% for foot wound staph A infections. Dressings changed every 3 days by nurse. Not sick now.

Since you posted twice, I just wanted to make sure you saw this answer:

As there are several reason as to why you can get a high level reading. Certain medications can cause this: Such as Aspirin, acetaminophen, Tylenol. And with you being on the amount of medication it's possible, which most often liver enzymes are monitored.......Alcohol use, over weight, vitamin and certain herbal supplements. Cholesterol can even cause these tests to be high as well. More serious causes can include viral hepatitis and mononucleosis, Autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, Tumors of the liver or bile ducts.

So depending upon the actual values of your test, your doctor may repeat the test or send you for an ultra sound.

Like the above post mentioned there are a number of reasons why your enzymes might be elevated. The first step is to insure that the elevation wasn't erroneous. Your doctor is already doing this. It would be really helpful if I knew the exact lab values but just on your reply I can think of a few possibilities. You are taking a number of drugs that are metabolized by the liver and their combination can sometimes overwhelm it's capacity and cause a bump in their levels. I wouldn't be surprised if the combination of your pneumonia, the prednisone, aspirin, and nortriptyline are behind it. They are all metabolized by the liver. If your levels are very high then other causes such as biliary, infectious, etc. will probably be suspect.
Another possible cause is left heart failure causing congestion back to your liver. Given your history and current meds these three etiologies would be the highest on my differential. To sum up:
1. Erroneous lab value
2. Polypharmacy interaction w/ liver
3. Left heart failure w/ congestion to liver
4. vs. the field

Good luck!
Lindie
Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert