Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Could you please tell me if the result of hiv test after 50

Customer Question
days of intercourse negative, what...
could you please tell me if the result of hiv test after 50 days of intercourse negative, what are the possibilities to still negative after 3 months
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
1/1/2008
Health Professional: jason, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 9 years ago
jason
jason, Doctor (MD/DO)

HelloCustomer

I can tell you that there is a 98% chance that if you were negative at 50 days you will be negative at 3 months. It takes the virus 6 weeks (42 days) to be detectable. I think you tested at the right time and I'm glad to give you the good news.

If I answered your question let me know by clicking accept. If you still need help let me know.

Jason

dear, thank you for your reply , but excuse me for my selly question: are you sure that 98 % chance to be negative at 6 weeks, it will be negative after 3 months

According to my Internal Medicine Mentor, yes, 98% is correct.. This is however assuming that the individual in question doesn't engage in any risky behaviour between the two times.

Glad to be able to respond so quickly. If I have answered your question please let me know by clicking accept. If you still need help let me know.

Jason

what do you mean by risky behaviour between the two times

Risky behaviour would be any behaviour that might put you at risk for infection.

Such as unprotected sex, sharing needles, unprotected anal intercourse, exposure to contaminated blood products.

Glad to be able to respond so quickly. If I have answered your question please let me know by clicking accept. If you need anything else please PM me.

jason

but i made a sexual relation with a girl 50 days ago without condoms and the result of hiv test after 50 days were negative what is my situation

Then you are negative. If you had been infected during the encounter it would have shown up by now. I'm glad to say you don't have HIV.

It's a pleasure giving good news. Please click Accept so that I may get credit for my work. If you need anything else PM me.

Jason

dear                                              i would like just to tell you that i repeated yesterday again the hiv test and it is still negative (it is after 65 days of intercourse), my qustion is: do i need to repeat it again later on

Glad to hear the good news, you don't need to repeat it.

If you need anything else let me otherwise please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Jason

dear thank you for your reply but could ypu please tell me why i have different opinion in my case and which one is right for more information please find the opinion of the other person                                        &nbs p;  could you please tell me if the result of hiv test after 64 days of intercourse negative, what are the possibilities to still negative after 3 months and o i need to repeat it again
Customer(Online) -- 1 Accepts/4 Questions

Answer
January 03 2:09 p.m. (16 minutes and 59 seconds later)
What should I do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current recommendations in the US are that you be tested soon after exposure, again at 3 months and for the last time at 6 months if you were negative at 3 months. This is because most people develop detectable levels of HIV antibodies within 6-12 weeks (42-84 days) of exposure, but some small percent can take 3 months. An even smaller number are known as "slow converters" who do not have the HIV antibody in the serum until much later than the majority of people. Only a tiny portion of the population will test negative at 3 months and positive at 6 months. If you are negative at 6 months there is next to no chance that you have been infected.

Because this is the protocol, there is little use in speculating in "odds" or "possibilities." It will not affect the outcome of your HIV test, which you would normally take as a matter of routine 3 months (90 days) after exposure.

It is important that you refrain from any risky behavior so that you will not have exposure again during the period while you are taking your tests. That means that you should always use a condom, and you should not share needles with anyone else, both for your own safety, and for theirs.

http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

__________________
If you need further clarification, please ask.

JA works on the honor system. If you found this helpful, please click ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my work. Please take a sec to leave positive feedback.

Schuyler_ANP (Offline) -- Nurse Practitioner -- 100% Positive Feedback on 2383 Health Accepts
PhD, Adult Nurse Practitioner, MS in Nursing, RN

Accept Answer? Yes ?

Your Reply
Sent January 03 3:06 p.m. (57 minutes and 5 seconds later)

but you couldnt answer my qustion if i have negative result of hiv test after 64 days what are the possibilities to have the same result(negative) after 3 months of exposure

Answer
January 03 3:09 p.m. (3 minutes and 30 seconds later)
What should I do?

There is no answer to your question. Statistics are not kept on what are the possibilities of being positive at 3 months when you have a negative at 30 days, 40 days, 50 days, 60 days, 64 days, 66 days, etc. The fact is that it takes some people's bodies more time than it takes others to make the HIV antibody. If you are negative at 3 months, then there is little likelihood that you will be positive at 6 months. However, any numbers prior to 3 months are not meaningful.

__________________

Accept Answer? Yes ?

Your Reply
Sent January 03 3:13 p.m. (3 minutes and 23 seconds later)

but yesterday i received another explanation from a doctor, so why yesterday the answer is totally differnt than yours today???

Your Reply
Sent January 03 3:23 p.m. (10 minutes and 33 seconds later)

still waiting your explanation

Answer
January 03 3:27 p.m. (3 minutes and 48 seconds later)
What should I do?

Sorry, I was helping another customer. I believe the answer you received yesterday was from a student. Also, doctors trained outside the USA may have a different opinion than what the US guidelines are.

About 97% of people will show HIV antibodies within 90 days (3 months). If you are negative at 3 months, you most likely will not develop antibodies within the three months after that, but we always recommend testing again at 6 months to make sure when the 3 month test is negative. Nothing can "hurry" your body into producing antibodies if it has in fact been exposed.

__________________

Accept Answer? Yes ?

Your Reply
Sent January 03 3:31 p.m. (3 minutes and 27 seconds later)

could you please tell me what do you mean by : Nothing can "hurry" your body into producing antibodies if it has in fact been exposed.

Answer
January 03 3:37 p.m. (6 minutes and 50 seconds later)
What should I do?

It means that some people will be slower to produce antibodies than others. Most produce them within the first 6-12 weeks after exposure. But other people are just slow converters and will take 3 months or more to produce the HIV antibodies that the tests are looking for. If someone's body is a slow converter, it doesn't matter if they test every day of their lives. The test would not be positive until the body had developed the antibodies.

Try to think of it in a different way. If you are around a child who has a bad cold, the time that you would have symptoms would be about 1-3 weeks, if you were going to catch the cold. If you don't have cold symptoms at 6 days, it doesn't mean that you will still not have symptoms at 10 days or 16 days, or even 21. You will need to wait and see if your body gets symptoms.

This is a simplistic way of looking at the scheduling of HIV tests. We recommend that someone be tested within the first 3 weeks of exposure and not again until 3 months. If both of those tests are negative, then a third test at 6 months makes absolutely sure that the original exposure did not produce HIV.

__________________

I see that you are confused, but this isn't really a question for debate. You have been negative twice now. You don't have HIV. Please let me know if you accept this answer or not.

Jason

Health Professional: Family Physician, Doctor (MD) replied 9 years ago
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
The CDC has issues formal guidelines on testing after possible HIV exposure - and those guidelines specifically recommend testing at baseline, 4-6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months after the exposure.

While it is a VERY good sign that you have tested negative at this point, you really should follow these CDC guidelines to be certain.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab4
thank you for your informations and really i appreciate your patience but i would like to ask the last question
when i made sexual relation, it was without penetration, i mean it was by touching the vagina by my penis for one minute and when i came only the head of my peins enter in the vagina, so this is my situation how do you think ...
The same CDC recommendations I gave you includes the estimated risk of a single encounter with an HIV positive person - for a male having vaginal intercourse with a HIV positive woman (insertive penile-vaginal intercourse) the risk is 5 in 10,000 or 0.05% chance.

The risk of developing HIV in the situation you describe is actually fairly low.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)