Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Help! I have nerve damage from surgery done on an obital

Customer Question

Help! I have facial nerve damage from surgery done on an obital blow out fracture (September 17). My face is numb/hard (just plain goofy) on the left side to include top teeth, lip, cheek and eye. I work in the cold weather 5-6 hours a day and it makes me feel like I have been hit with a baseball bat. My doctor says the nerves are damaged and we will not know for a year if there is permanent damage.   Periodically, my left eye swells, tears and feels like there is an eye lash stuck in it. My left nostril runs constantly and I can feel liquid draining down the inside of my cheek. I am feeling "dumped" by my surgeon. He seems to be brilliant surgeon, but I am feeling quite helpless with the lack of after care. Please give me some ideas if there is anything I can do to help myself right now. Thanks! JULIE
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.

Dear *****,

I can understand your problem and the situation. Ideally you should get nerve conduction study (NCV) and electromyography (EMG). This will give us a correct perspective of the extent of the injury and even prognosis.

At present the treatment should constitute of

a) Physical therapy which will constitute of active and passive exercises

b) Electrical stimulation

c) High doses of vitamin B1, B6, B12.

d) Massage in the direction of muscle fibers.

e) Avoidance of cold stimuli as it aggravates the stiffness, muscle edema.

For eye care you need use of tear substitutes, lubricants, and eye protection (Eyeglasses or shields). They protect the eye from injury and reduce drying by decreasing the air currents that come directly in contact with the exposed cornea.

There are some surgical options also worth trying, if the nerve recovery won't be good.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Should I try to see my surgeon again or should I go to my family physician for a referral?

It would be better to talk to your surgeon in clear terms about the prognosis and various other options and further management. If he does not offer you anything clear and concrete, you would need a referral from your family physician.

Dr. Arun