How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35465
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Help! I have nerve damage from surgery done on an obital

Customer Question

Help! I have facial nerve damage from surgery done on an obital blow out fracture (September 17). My face is numb/hard (just plain goofy) on the left side to include top teeth, lip, cheek and eye. I work in the cold weather 5-6 hours a day and it makes me feel like I have been hit with a baseball bat. My doctor says the nerves are damaged and we will not know for a year if there is permanent damage.   Periodically, my left eye swells, tears and feels like there is an eye lash stuck in it. My left nostril runs constantly and I can feel liquid draining down the inside of my cheek. I am feeling "dumped" by my surgeon. He seems to be brilliant surgeon, but I am feeling quite helpless with the lack of after care. Please give me some ideas if there is anything I can do to help myself right now. Thanks! JULIE
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.

Dear *****,

I can understand your problem and the situation. Ideally you should get nerve conduction study (NCV) and electromyography (EMG). This will give us a correct perspective of the extent of the injury and even prognosis.

At present the treatment should constitute of

a) Physical therapy which will constitute of active and passive exercises

b) Electrical stimulation

c) High doses of vitamin B1, B6, B12.

d) Massage in the direction of muscle fibers.

e) Avoidance of cold stimuli as it aggravates the stiffness, muscle edema.

For eye care you need use of tear substitutes, lubricants, and eye protection (Eyeglasses or shields). They protect the eye from injury and reduce drying by decreasing the air currents that come directly in contact with the exposed cornea.

There are some surgical options also worth trying, if the nerve recovery won't be good.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Should I try to see my surgeon again or should I go to my family physician for a referral?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 years ago.


It would be better to talk to your surgeon in clear terms about the prognosis and various other options and further management. If he does not offer you anything clear and concrete, you would need a referral from your family physician.

Dr. Arun