Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095
Health

When i eat spicy food i get bad lower intestinal burning

right before a bowel movement
Category: Health
Angela, Private
replied 9 years ago.
Do you have looser stools when you have the intestinal pain as well?
Have you noticed it with specific spicy foods or is it all spicy foods?
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Angela's Post: NO THEY ARE NOT LOOSE IT FEELS LIKE THE STOOL IS BURNING MY LOWER INTESTIN BECAUSE ITS ONLY STOOLS THAT BURN MY ASS I WASNT SURE IF YOU CAN HAVE ULSERS THAT LOW IN THE IMTESTINS OR IF ITS SOMETHING ELSE
Angela, Private replied 9 years ago.
The peppers can cause irritation and inflammation in your intestines and bowels. Usually, however, they would also cause diarrhea or loose, watery bowel movements as well.

Try cutting out spicy foods from your diets. You may be able to determine which foods cause the pain so that you can avoid them. If it is the spices in general, such as red pepper, or, jalapeño peppers, you may need to assess whether you should avoid them altogether.

Additionally, you may discover that your sensitivity isn't necessarily to the spices, but, it may be to something else that is common with spicy foods - oils used in cooking the foods can cause intestinal irritation as well.
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Angela's Post: IS THERE MEDICINE TO HEAL IT IT FEELS LIKE AN OPEN SORE IT HITS WHEN THE BM IT ABOUT 10 MINUTES AWAY FAIRLY DEEP INSIDE LOWER STOMACH
Angela, Private replied 9 years ago.
Over-the-counter Prilosec or Nexium may help alleviate the discomfort. Prilosec also works to heal some of the damage to your stomach. It is taken 10-15 minutes before a meal, and therefore, helps to coat your stomach against the acids produced.

It may take up to four days to get relief from the Prilosec, but, if you don't feel relief at the end of 14 days, you should see your physician for further treatment.
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
NEXIUM IS THE ONE THAT HEALS THE ASOPHAGUS WILL IT HEAL YOUR LOWER INTESTIN TOO
Angela, Private replied 9 years ago.
It works to heal the damage done by acids to your digestive tract - esophagus, stomach and intestines.

By seeing a doctor, he can prescribe an antibiotic a PPI (like Prilosec or Nexium) to treat an intestinal ulcer that may have been caused by a bacterial infection.
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I am approaching this post from a different perspective. From what you write, you sound like you might have a condition called Irritible Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

No one really knows what causes IBS; the gut, however, has the largest concentration of neurons outside of the brain. It is not without reason that people feel nervousness and anxiety in their stomachs. And, that is due in part to that flight and fight reflex that we all have. It is postulated that in IBS, that interaction between brain and gut is VERY oversensitive. But no one really knows why IBS happens.

The main signs of IBS are abdominal pain OR discomfort that is relieved by or associated with a bowel movement. There also can be chronic dirrahea or constipation. Abdominal bloating can also occur, as can the feeling that you did not fully defacate when you emptied your bowels. Some people also report white mucous in the stool.

Some report that food and stress can trigger IBS symptoms. Your situation of spicy foods is a prime example. I would reccomend you keep a journal log of what you are doing and eating when you have IBS symptoms. Maybe in that way you could find some way to coorelate cause and effect and so learn to lessen the IBS.

In IBS, nothing wrong can be found in the intestines when they are examined, but clearly a problem exists.

Support groups can also help with emotional support...it can be therapeutic to talk with those who have your condition.

There are many medications that can be used for IBS...including some of the antidepressant medications, antispasmodic medications, and others. Prilosec and Nexium decrease stomach acid, and dont really affect the intestines. They are used more for heartburn and ulcer than they are for IBS.

I suggest a physician visit for diagnosis and evaluation and possible treatment. Here is the Mayo Clinics site on IBS: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome/DS00106/DSECTION=1

I hope I was able to help you,

Sincerely,

Susan

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Susan's Post: THIS IS ONLY ON SPICY FOODS THOUGH AND IT GOES AWAY AT THE SAME TIME AS THE BURNING BUT GOES AWAY ITS SOME TYPE OF SORE OR IRRITATION AND WAT MED WILL HEAL IT
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN) replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If this is indeed IBS, it is because your bowels are overly sensitive and reacting to that spicy food when they should really not. Its not a "sore" per say, as a result. COULD you have a sore on your bowel? Yes, you could...but from what you wrote it doesnt sound likely. Arguments in favor of some lesion or sore do include the fact you seem to feel it in one specific spot, as one would feel a sore. Arguments against a ulcer are the fact it ONLY hurts with spicy food...ulcers would tend to cause pain irregardless of the food eaten, and, people often say the pain of an ulcer lessens with food.

Your symptoms are why I suggest a doctor visit. He/she can do exams to examine the intestine and see if there is a sore, lesion, or any irritation. In the meantime, cut down/eliminate foods that you know cause you pain and discomfort. If there is a sore that will help it heal. But I do suggest a physician exam.

When you see your doctor, he/she may give you prescription medications that can help relax your intestine and help it heal. If it is just provoked by foods though, he or she may say to merely stop eating those foods.

Sincerely,

Susan