Susan Strong RN MS
Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.
4901381

what does acute cocaine intoxication mean

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 9 years ago.

Hello Beany,

Basically acute cocaine intoxication means that the person is experiencing the immediate effects of cocaine, probably in large amounts. Without more specific information as to the person's behavior, it is difficult to describe what symptoms the person is demonstrating, but obviously the person is under the influence of a drug. Probably the person's mental state is affected; the behavior may be inappropriate, pupils dilated, pulse rapid and the blood pressure elevated. The person probably is either slowed way down, or stimulated and inappropriate, unable to think or talk logically.

I hope this helps. Please leave feedback.

Susan Strong RN MS, Nurse
Experience: 35 years of experience as a nurse, nurse educator and family nurse practitioner.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Susan Strong RN MS's Post: The person I am inquiring about died, and the autopsy report stated that they died from acute cocaine intoxication.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The person I am inquiring about died, and the autopsy report stated that they died from acute cocaine intoxication.

Hello Beany,

I am so sorry to hear of the death of this person from cocaine. Cocaine constricts blood vessels, and it the blood vessels in the heart are affected, it cuts off the circulation to the heart muscle and the person can have a heart attack. If this happens in an artery or arteries in the brain, the person can have a stroke. In addition, cocaine can cause life-threatening arrythmias of the heart. There is no way to know when a person will die from cocaine. Cocaine may be used many times without one devastating effects, or may be used once and cause death.

I see that a Dr. Gaurav is wanting to answer this question. I will submit this answer and if he provides a clearer explanation, feel free to accept his answer. Again, my deepest sympathies.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What is the normal size of a liver, the lungs and spleen?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
Susan asked me to help you since your question was going beyond her area of expertise.

The size of organs at autopsy can vary considerably. The normal range for various organs is listed in this table.
http://www.indmedica.com/journals.php?journalid=9&issueid=78&articleid=1016&action=article

By itself - weight has little diagnostic significance, and the entire autopsy report would need to be reviewed to provide much insight.

Cocaine as the other expert has mentioned causes a number of dangerous effect on the body including stress on the heart, raising blood pressure and even causing strokes. Organs such as the spleen, liver, and lungs can become congested with blood (increasing their weights) from heart failure resulting from cocaine (or other causes of heart failure)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are the statistics the same in African American males as in the Indian culture?
There may be slight differences, but that is the only source that I can find at this point.

As I said organs weights are not that significant as in this report from the Journal of Clinical Pathology
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1731164&blobtype=pdf