How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Evans Your Own Question
Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. D. Evans is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently diagnosed with cricopharyngeal hypertrophy ...

Resolved Question:

I was recently diagnosed with cricopharyngeal hypertrophy and esophageal dysmobility is this a serious condition if so how seious and what type of treatments are there
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Have you been seen by a gastroenterologist?

What treatment have you been prescribed?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no i was told i need to see an ent but have not done so yet
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

Cricopharyngeal hypertrophy means hypertrophy of the cricopharyngeal muscle which lies at the beginning of the esophagus. It is not a serious disease and does not lead to a critical outcome like death. But it can lead to swaloowing problems.

There are various options to treat this, including surgical procdures like myotomy, which entails cutting through the band of muscle of the cricopharynx. It can also be treated with non-surgical methods.

You need to get yourself checked up for this. You should approach your doctor. You may need further investigations like a Endoscopy, Barium swallow XRay and a videofluroscopic swallow study including swallowing manometry. This will enable the doctor to determine whether you need a surgical procedure or not. You can look up here and here. If your problem is only due to an esophageal motility disorder, you need a referral to a speech pathologist, these are the experts who deal with swallowing problems. A speech pathologist will be able to help you with this problem. You can look up here.

You can look up here:

You should look up here for a somewhat academic article on dysphagia ( swallowing problems):

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you