How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had twitchy (jumping) nerve impulses all over my

Resolved Question:

I have had twitchy (jumping) nerve impulses all over my body, including my eyes for about 11 months now.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Do these twitches occur before, during or after activity?

Do you have any other problems?

What investigations has your doctor done?

Has he given these twitches a name?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
They don't have any particular time that they occur. They are random and constant all over my body but in particular around my eyes. They happen all day every day.

I have no other problems that I'm aware of other than a very mild case of sciatica on my left side. I feel this has no bearing on my current problem.

My current doctor has conducted no investigations and no name has been given.
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

There are a number of reasons for twitching and there are several types of twitching. If your doctor has not given these a name such as fasciculations, tics or chorea (for example) then you should be referred to a neurologist who is more familiar with these in order to get an accurate diagnosis.

The majority of fasciculations (small muscle twitches) are benign and can occur with dehydration or magnesium deficiency as well as when a patient is fatigued or has been over exerting the group of muscles. However there are rarely more serious causes of fasciculations and although you do not have any symptoms, it is worth getting a proper assessment so that you have an understanding of the problem.

A neurologist will do some simple muscle strength and sensation testing to find out what sort of problem might be present and from there discuss what treatment if any. It may be as simple as improving your diet and fluid intake however as it has gone on for 11 months without a proper assessment then a referral is reasonable at this point.

Pauline and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you