Dr. Hanson
Dr. Hanson, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Diplomate, American Board of Quality Assurance & Utilization Review Physicians
90970

My 2 year old has a fast pulse, about 150 bpm and his

My 2 year old has a fast pulse, about 150 bpm and his breating is heavy. He's had a fever, but it's under control with ibuprophin. Is the heavy breathing just due to the cold-like symptoms?

Please take your child's temperature and tell me what his temperature is now.

Listen to your son's chest and tell me if you hear any crackling noises (listen with your ear on his back on each side of his spine near his shoulder blades and also listen in the front near his nipples. Do you hear loud crackling sounds or any unusual noises? Let me know what it sounds like.

Is your child urinating normally (at least 3 times per day) clear urine?

Is your child drinking at least 1 glass (or bottle) of water or fresh juice every hour?

Is your child alert and active or is he lethargic?

How long has your son been tachypneic (rapid pulse)?

Have you noticed that your son has a yellow or greenish colored nasal discharge?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Hanson's Post: He's on Motrin, his temp is 97.4 using a forehead scan thermometer.

Listening to his upper back, during the second half of his exhale, there is a slight wheeze.

He wears diapers, he's been urinating less than normal, but his appetite has decreased significantly and he's noe drinking nearly as much as usual.

He is mostly lethargic, with short period of near normal alertness/activity (talking, pointing, walking around a bit).

Not sure about the increased pulse, but his labored breathing started roughly 4 hours ago.

His nose had green to clear discharge the past couple of days, including most of today, but it is presently clear.
At this point - I would STONGLY recommend that he be checked in the emergency room.

Labored breathing, wheezing, decreased appetite, and lethargy are symptoms that all suggest more than a mild illness.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Because your son is lethargic, tachypneic, urinating less than normal, and he is not drinking as much as usual I recommend that your son be examined and treated urgently in the ER. He may benefit from supplemental oxygen, intravenous antibiotics, and IV fluid therapy.

If you have any questions please ask me.

Dr. Hanson

Dr. Hanson, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Diplomate, American Board of Quality Assurance & Utilization Review Physicians