Paramedic P
Paramedic P, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  Paramedic, 12+ years in health care, work in a mobile clinic that treats the homeless
5213119

I GET SHARP PAINS IN MY LITTLE TOE ALOT, LIKE SOMEONE IS

I GET SHARP PAINS IN MY LITTLE TOE ALOT, LIKE SOMEONE IS STABBING IT, THEN I WILL GO MONTHS WITH NO PAIN. IT IS SO BAD, MY LEG WILL JERK. I NOTICED IT DID IT WITH EVERY STEP I TOOK LAST WEEK WHEN I WAS AT A JOG.
Category: Health
Expert:  Paramedic P replied 9 years ago.

Hello Lah

There is a condition called Metatarsalgia that could cause this. It usually causes pain in the ball of the foot and is very common in athletes. The pain can often be felt in the second, third and fourth toes. It sometimes feels like a sharp, aching or burning pain and is often made worse by activities such as running. Generally after rest the pain will go away. It is an extremely uncomfortable condition and can cause excruciating pain to the point where you want to just keel over. Sometimes the symptoms develop suddenly and other times they take months to develop.

Rather than typing the anatomy of the foot and how it happens I am going to attach a web page for you:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496/DSECTION=3

There are several things you can do to help alleviate the pain. The most important thing is to make sure that you have comfortably fitting shoe's. They should not press on your toes at all. Often times arch supports help and they minimize the stress on the metatarsal bones which is where the pain is generally coming from. Shock absorbing insoles will usually help also.

There is a store called the Good Feet Store. I don't know if you have any located near you but I know there is an 800 number and if you look it up on-line they can help you locate the closest store to you. I had a similar problem and I would get severe toe pain after standing for long periods of time. I went to this store and they measured my feet and made me custom insoles for my shoes so that my arch was resting properly and it greatly reduced the pressure on the ball of my feet and toes. It is definitely worth looking into.

This site will help you find a location near you:

http://www.goodfeet.com/store-home.html

You can try ice if the pain has not gone away by the time you get home from your jogging. Over the counter anti-inflammatory such as motrin will also help to reduce any swelling. Just make sure you follow the direction on the box. Hopefully after a visit to the good feet store you will feel tremendous relief.

I also wanted to let you know that even though this problem is very common with athletes and it is what I strongly suspect that there are other possible causes. Arthritis and gout can cause toe pain but it usually affects the big toe. However nothing is impossible. It is not a bad idea to schedule an appointment with a podiatrist. Honestly I had better luck with the good feet store than the podiatrist but if it is something such as an ingrown toe-nail you may need to have it repaired by a foot doctor.

I am going to attach a web-site on Metatarsalgia for you to read when you have time:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496/DSECTION=1

I hope that this information was useful for you. I understand how horrible it is to have toe pain. I struggled with it for years until I got my new shoe's and insoles. Now I can stand a whole day at work without pain. It is such a great relief. I hope that it does the same for you.

If you have any other questions at all please let me know.

Sincerely,

Bunny

If you feel I have answered your question please hit the accept button. If you still would like more information please let me know as I am here to help you. Thank you.