Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

Abdominal pain, under bottom-left rib when exhaling

Customer Question

Moderate pain after waking up this morning 'inside', beneath my bottom-left ribs.. Severe issue?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

The possible causes are:

Acid reflux : this seems the most likely cause. Such pains can be associated.

Chronic cholecystitis : the pain is usually associated with indigestion, flatulence and often with fever and vomiting. A pain from the gall bladder may be aggravated by deep breathing or sneezing as the diaphragm touches the gall bladder.

Pleurisy : An inflammation of the lining of the lungs. This is a likely cause but it is usually associated with some sort of cough and often sputum. Without this, it is less likely.

Costochondritis: If the pain is aggravated by touching, it could be due to costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage joint of the ribs.

Esophageal spasm: may be associated with difficulty in swallowing and heart burn. link

Cardiac causes: Cardiac causes of such pain could be due to ischemia (due to blockages - including both stable and unstable angina and acute heart attack and coronary artery spasm), pericarditis (inflammation of the sack around the heart), myocarditis (inflammation of the heart)

Psychological causes of chest pain are common and include panic attacks, anxiety, stress and mental duress

For you, acid reflux is the most likely cause. You should try initially with some antacid, like Mucaine gel (OTC) 2 tsf three times daily and Tab. Zantac 150 mg once daily assuming it to be acid reflux. If this does not help and pain continues more than 5 days, then you have to go for a medical check up. Link1 Link2

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I already have Ulcers and know the pain associated with them. This is a different, unique pain.
It's centered maybe half-an-inch inside my left, bottom-two ribs. Only happens on a deep-exhale.
(Such as when smoking, or when breathing-out, stomach first so it gets 'sucked in'.)
If this is different from the normal pain due to acid reflux, then it could be due to the other causes which I mentioned. The pain of cholecystitis, pleurisy, costochondritis will all be increased by deep breathing.

You should consult a doctor for this to rule out these causes. Till then, you should continue the treatment for acid reflux to rule this out.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your time, much appreciated.