How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16308
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Was sent for catscan to check for renal stenosis and this

Resolved Question:

Was sent for catscan to check for renal stenosis and this was found. I have problem with uncontroled blood pressure and have lost 18lbs. They say weight lost goes with this blocked artery.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.


Because the celiac is one of the arteries supplying the intestines, any interrruption of the blood supply means the intestines cannot digest as well, and there will be weight loss. There are several ways to approach a blocked artery. Sometimes medication to thin the bood is used to prevent clots. However, with 90% blockage, you may be more likely to have an intervention to open the artery such as angioplasty and a stent. With angioplasty a tiny balloon catheter is threaded through the arterial system. When it reaches the area of the blockage, the balloon is inflated, pushing the clogging material to the walls of the artery. A stent is then placed to keep the artery open once the catheter is withdrawn. Another possibility is an endartectomy in which the plaque is scraped from the walls of the artery. A third possibility is that a portion of the celiac artery may be removed and replaced with a graft from another part of your body. I'm confident your doctors will be discussing the viable options with you shortly.

A. Schuyler, NP and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The doctor I saw wants to do nothing at this time should see a second doctor
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.
I would want a second opinion just to be on the safe side. These blockages are usually chronic, slowly deposited accumulations of plaque so there doesn't seem to be any rush to do anything at the moment if you aren't symptomatic.