Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

I have a tiny, hard bump in the upper inside of my right ...

I have a tiny, hard bump in the upper inside of my right nostril on the cartilage side. It started out a few years ago as a softer, tinier bump and now it is mildly painful when pressed. It has stayed the same size for quite a while now and doesn't grow any bigger. What could this be? Will it ever go away? Is surgery the only option?

Also, I went to an ENT a few years ago. He looked in my ears due to a crackling sound I was having in my left ear that began after a sinus cold. It is still there. He looked in my right ear and said there was a tiny growth of bone or cartilage on the ear drum and asked me if my sense of taste had changed at all. I hadn't noticed that. He took a picture of it for reference. I did recently have an odd white swelling in my mouth on that side under my tongue. It happened a month before I got a mastitis (breastfeeding) staphylococcus infection that still seems to be affecting my tonsils. They hurt off and on. Could these be related?
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

IS the growth in the right nostril on the septum, the wall between the two nostrils, or on the lateral wall of the nose, the side towards the ear?

Do you have any difficulty in hearing now?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: Hello,

The bump is on the septum wall between the two nostrils, NOT on the lateral wall of the nose towards the ear. I don't have trouble hearing.
This bump is called the Vomeronasal organ. This is a sense organ for smell whose exact function is not known. It was originally thought to be a vestigeal organ, an organ without any function and a remnant from evolution. But it is now believed to have some important role in the way we perceive smells, and hence to have a greater influence in our lives. you should not worry about this.

The other symptoms that you had are not connected to this, this is a natural organ that we all have on the septum. Dont worry about this anymore.

You can read up about this interesting feature here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomeronasal_organ
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web3/Bernstein.html

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

That is interesting. I'm curious, though, why the tiny, hard bump on my upper nasal septum is painful to touch and pressure? Is it slightly infected or slightly irritated due to amateur investigation? How come it is only in one side of the nose and not the other (which is smooth in the left nostril at that location)? I appreciate your reassurance that it is not something to worry about.

Thank you!
I feel that it is due to irriation due to your touching. This is also what makes it larger and visible. What appears to have happened is that due to touching, the site got inflammed and this is what makes it visible. Otherwise the land openings are almost microscopic and very difficult or impossile to see, that is why you dont see them on the other site.

Just dont touch it anymore no matter what.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Okay, now I understand more what has happened with that. I think I'm just much more easily worried about my health since I've had metastatic breast cancer removed from my right breast. I believe the bump was there before all that happened, so I was pretty sure it wasn't related. It isn't, right? The thing the ENT photographed was there before the breast cancer diagnosis and surgery as well. The intermittent tonsil pain has occurred since the mastitis. I imagine you understand my anxiety about this and any health subject. Thank you again for your reassurances.
Glad to have been of help.