How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Nash Your Own Question
Doctor Nash
Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 616
Experience:  I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Doctor Nash is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been on my feet and driving a lot for 2ish

Resolved Question:

i have been on my feet and driving a lot for 2ish right foot is now swollen in the middle of the ball of my foot and it hurts to put pressure on this planters faciality
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 9 years ago.
No, this is not typical of plantar fasciitis. So, let's see what we can find out.

When did this start?

Have you injured your foot in any way besides the repetitive motion of accelerating and braking?

Have you ever had foot problems before?

Is the area warm and reddish?

What kind of work do you do?

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Have you waalked barefoot or in stockings recently?

Have you checked the insole of your right shoes(s) to see if there's anything there that should not be there?

How old are you?

Do you take any medications? If so, list them.

Look at the x-rays. The bones are labeled. Tell me where this painful swelling is located; the exact location will help me help you.

I am sending this as an Information Request, so you can see it without paying. This is not an answer, so do not pay for it. You pay only for final answers.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: 1. had swelling for about 4-5 days.
2. no injury
3. a little red
4. sales
5. inexpensive loafers
6. no, i wear houseshoes
7. yes, i keep the shoes clean, in and out
8. 44
9. no
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 9 years ago.

As you are, I am concerned.

Please go back to the x-rays and tell me which bones are in the area that is bothering you.

You are close to Denver, so I'm not concerned about finding someone to help you. I ask about the location since that could help me determine urgency (from my standpoint, not yours)..
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: area between the Metasurical and Phlangers
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 9 years ago.
Good, but one more, Nathan.

From the top view, is it near the fourth metatarsal and toe, maybe between 4 and 5? You have to imagine the metatarsal-phalangel joints to the far, far right. Big toe on the bottom; small toe at the top.

With the answer to that, I can (maybe) put a name to the problem and tell you what to expect.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is directly under the 2 toes next to my big toe
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 9 years ago.
Okay Nathan, I was hoping for another answer.

We have inflammation of unknown cause characterized by the classic findings of dolor (pain), rubor (redness), and tumor (mass), but we are missing calor (heat). So, inflammation, but I can't say definitively infection.

Since my retirement from my medical school (10 years ago), I have been involved with pedorthist, podiatrists, and orthopedists at the Institute of Biomechanics; we teach and do research in lower extremity problems. I have learned a lot, particularly when OTC orthoses from the pharmacy will help.

I was hoping to be able to tell you what to buy, but you don't have a Morton's neuroma. Now I have to tell you to make an appointment with a podiatrist or a foot and ankle orthopedist. If you see your primary care physician about this, you will only be delaying things. Less than 20% of PCPs look at patient's feet unless the patient has a specific complaint or is a diabetic.

The best I can suggest for now is anti-inflammatory meds (ibuprofen, don't pay for brand names like Motrin) to reduce the inflammation and pain. Apply ice (not directly to the skin) to your elevated foot.

Let me know if you want to discuss this. I teach medicine, so I am not available at all times. However, I do check this site throughout the day. Please be patient; I will reply.
Doctor Nash and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you