How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9035
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a sore spot in the bone just below my knee (I believe

Resolved Question:

I have a sore spot in the bone just below my knee (I believe the fibia?). It doesn't hurt to walk or run but I can feel it when I climb stairs and bend low on my knees. Any ideas on what could be causing it and what I should do to treat it?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.


You probably have a torn meniscus in your knee.

The knee joint has two pieces of semicircular cartilage on either side - these are called meniscus. These cartilages tend to get torn whenever there is any injury to the knee. The injury may be mild or moderate and may not even be noticed by the person at the time.

In your case, I believe that you have injured the meniscus in the outer side of the knee - the lateral meniscus. This is causing the pain when you bend your knee. There will be no pain when the knee is not bent much.

You will need to consult an orthopedist (a bone doctor) for an examination and treatment. Treatment usually consists of removal of the torn bits of cartilage.

You can read more about this here:


I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: Hello Dr.,

I may have worded this wrong. The knee is not the problem. The pain, which I feel in a non-debilitating way, occurs when I apply pressure to it, climb stairs and bend in certain positions (mainly when i am on my toes), is directly on the large bone that connects to the knee. But there is no pain in the knee whatsoever. It is on the top of the large bone in my leg. Does that change your diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.


Your symptoms now confirms the diagnosis even more.

The menisci are cartilages that are present between the thigh bone and the lower large bone of the leg. So, pressure over the upper end of the large bone, ( just below the patella or the knee cap) will cause pain in case you have an injured menisci. The knee will not pain directly unless there is a major injury with inflammation.

A torn or injured menisci does not pain all the time. If the injury is slight, pain will occur only when pressure is applied to it directly or when the knee is bent in certain positions.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: Hi Doctor-

Thanks for your patience, final follow up from me. You have been very helpful.

Is your diagnosis consistent with the facts that I can run (jogging) virtually pain free? And the fact that the pain, when pressured, is located directly on the bone below the kneecap? Just making sure I've got my facts straight. Another thing I forgot to mention, there is also a general weakness in the left leg as compared to the right one. I don't know exactly how to explain it, except to say it sort of feels like my leg is asleep, but in a very slight way.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.

A torn meniscus may not necessarily cause pain when jogging. Pain can occur only when pressure is applied on the spot directly.

But the fact that you have a weakness of the leg is not consistent with a torn meniscus. It occurs only when there is pressure over the nerve supplying the muscles of that region. This compression can occur when the nerve curves over the bone called fibula just below the knee or it can occur if there is a tumor or growth in that region.

Please consult an orthopedic doctor - you will need an Xray plus MRI scans for an accurate diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you