Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Why when i sneeze it smells like ammonia and i have a slight

Customer Question
headache...
why when i sneeze it smells like ammonia and i have a slight headache
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Health
8/23/2007
Health Professional: Deborah, Nurse (RN) replied 10 years ago
Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)

You may have a sinus infection. My suggestion would be to consult with an otolaryngologist, often referred to as an ENT (ear, nose & throat specialist)

Do you have any other symptoms besides the unusual smell and slight headache?

• Frontal sinusitis (behind the forehead) can cause pain in the forehead and pain that gets worse when lying on your back.
  • Ethmoid sinusitis (behind the bridge of the nose) can cause pain between the eyes, eyelid swelling, loss of smell or strange smell and pain when touching the sides of the nose.
  • Sphenoid sinusitis (behind the eyes) can cause earaches, neck pain, or headache at the top of the head or deep behind the forehead.
  • Maxillary sinusitis (behind the cheeks) can cause pain in the cheeks, under the eyes, or in the upper teeth and jaw
  • Sinus infections are rountinely treated with antibiotics and decongestants.

Another consideration is a nasal polyps which can also cause a disturbance of smell. A nasal polyp is a benign tumor that grows from the lining of the nose or sinuses. They can make your nose feel stuffy, and can affect your sense of smell. Not all growths in the nose are polyps.

Click on the underlined links to learn more. Let me know what questions you may have.

Deborah
    Deborah, Nurse (RN)
    Deborah
    Deborah
    Deborah, Nurse (RN)