Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

What causes high calcium levels and high potassium levels in

What causes high calcium levels and high potassium levels in the blood?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 10 years ago.
Customerbr />
There are various causes for both of these problems.

Rather than provide you with a list can you tell me some more about the patient so as I can give you a more specific answer?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
My husband recently went for bllod work for pre-op physical for medial meniscus surgery. He just got notified that he has high potassium and high ccalcium levels in his blood He is very athletic and eats well. He was put on Lisinpril II believe 5 mg) for mild hypertension. There is a family history of hypertension. They want a repeat lab. We are just concerned about the cause of this condition, and if it is related to cardiac issues or kidney issues. I believe the anesthesiologist was the one that requested a repeat lab. Why would he consider this a problem?
Customerbr />
If it were a kidney problem it would have to be very severe to raise his potassium level - that would have been detected as part of his blood work too.

Heart problems to not affect potassium or calcium levels.

Does he eats lots of bananas???

Dr jef
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
He eats a banana in the morning. he just spoke with the PA and all she said was that they were most concerned about the high potassium in the blood. What would high potassium effect? what could it be a sign of?
Customerbr />
Do you know what the level was?

An isolated elevation in potassium , where renal failure, is not present is not usually the result of a disease.

It is ,in fact, most often spurious - due to traumatic blood sampling - this bursts some red blood cells and their potassium leeks out.

It can also occur if the platelet count is high - again this would have been detected at the same time.

His lisinopril can also cause a slight rise in potassium level.

If we assume that it is only slightly elevated then I think a repeat sample in a week is entirely appropriate.

Dr jef
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Why would they consider not doing the surgery because of the poptassium level? What could occur?
Customerbr />
They would only postpone the surgery if he had a disease causing a very high potassium level - I do not think that this is the case.

If the level had been very high he would have been called back in for a test ASAP.

If the potassium level is very high >6.5mmol/L then the heartbeat can become irregular.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
What diseaes cause high potassium levels and high calcium levels in the blood?
Customerbr />
The usual disease process causing hyperkalemia ( a high potassium level) is renal failure.

Hypecalcemia ( a high calcium level) is only present when the level is over 2.6mmol/L - can be due to a variety of causes some of which are quite serious - I can list them if you desire but I suspect this will merely raise your levels of anxiety.

Dr Jef