A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Are mega cisterna magna and hyperostosis frontalis interna

are mega cisterna magna and hyperostosis frontalis interna the same?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 years ago.

Hyperostosis frontalis interna is the thickening of the inner table of the frontal bone, which may be associated with hypertrichosis (hairiness) and obesity. It is commonly found in women approaching menopause.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_8_59/ai_54567577

Mega cisterna magna refers to an enlarged cisterna magna, a spinal fluid space in the back of the brain, just behind the cerebellum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisterna_magna

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: my 30 year old daughter was suppose to froze to death . I said it wasn't her . when the atopsy came back it had hyperostosis...... on it, but on her mri taken sept 19 /2006 was the other one.

Since one defect is in the front of the head and the other in the back, it isn't likely that they could be confused. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. God bless.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I need to know if the hyperstosis frontalis interna would have showed up sept 19/2006, when the mega cisterna magna showed up on her MRI. It was stated by the coroner's autopsy report"I noted that there was multiple irregular,raised portions of the bone in the internal aspects of the frontal bone" The hyperstostis....... was on the person frozed to death suppose   jan17 to april 13 date found. Daughter had mega....

As I noted, the hyperstosis frontalis interna is a prominence in the frontal bone of the head. It is seldom noticed in people under 40 and usually they are a decade older than that, so it is unlikely that it would have shown up on your daughter if she was only 30.....either in 2006 or this Spring.

Your daughter's mega cisterna magna would have been readily visible to even the most inept of coroners. While both problems can occur in the same individual, the lack of evidence of mega cisterna magna at autopsy casts doubt on the body being that of your daughter.